Mesa celebrates new Student Services Center

The Grand Opening ceremony for the new Student Services Center was held Monday morning at the plaza outside the building. Students, faculty and guests attended to hear speakers’ remarks, observe the ribbon cutting and tour the center.

Mesa College President Pamela Luster began the ceremony by introducing the other speakers and thanking everyone who was involved in making the building a reality. “Thank you so much to the dreamers that brought this building together, to all of the people who contributed in terms of their tax dollars, to Props. S and N, and to all of the staff who work in this building – congratulations on a beautiful new home,” Luster said.

Other speakers included Rich Grosch, Constance Carroll, David Umstot, Julianna Barnes, Madeleine Hinkes, Angela Liewen, and Martin Pollak.

“You can see and feel the pride and dedication of all the employees here. It’s what makes this campus so special,”Grosch said, President of the Board of Trustees. He credited the board for their courage in pursuing the bonds that made the new center possible despite criticisms, and also drew attention to the building’s LEED Gold certification.

The San Diego Community College District is currently on its way to obtaining 37 LEED certifications, outnumbering all other higher education institutions in the region.

“This is the little building that could,” said Chancellor Constance Carroll proudly as she stepped up to the podium. Carroll, who had been President of Mesa from 1993 to 2004, had worked tirelessly to bring the various student services under one roof. Standing in front of the building she’d worked to create for two decades, she said “This is a real cause for celebration, because more than any other building on campus, this is the students’ building.”

The students of Mesa seem to agree. In the short time the center has been open, it has quickly become a popular place to study, get coffee before class and catch up with friends, not to mention take advantage of the multitude of services available. Counseling, tutoring and career and transfer assistance are all accessible in a building that welcomes students with friendly staff and ample study space.

It was only the fourth day on the job for Julianna Barnes, the new Vice President of Student Services, and she likened the center to winning the San Diego Dream Home Raffle. “The students are the inspiration behind this building,” Barnes said after asking the crowd to recognize the students in the audience. “We are here to serve them. And from day one, they have affirmed that this student services center here at Mesa College is now the model for student learning and student success.”

“I am very honored because I hold the key to this building, and I do want to be sure that the students know that we share this key with you – this is your key as well,” Barnes said.

Martin Pollak, Vice President of Associated Students Government, was the final speaker before the ribbon cutting. Giving the perspective of a student, Pollak called his first day at Mesa “extraordinarily frustrating,” stating that despite the “great service,” he was shuffled around confusingly. The new center will reduce first-day stress for new students by keeping services together.

“Stepping into this new building was the first time I really felt at home on campus,” Pollak said, “and I think that the other students feel the same way.”

Luster cut the ceremonial ribbon and then the audience was guided inside. Already uncertain of where to stand, the crowd was startled by animal sounds from above the atrium.

The source of the sounds proved to be the San Diego College Vocal Ensemble, directed by Prof. Richard Chagnon. Grouped on the second floor landing, they began their choral performance with “The Lion Sleeps Tonight,” showing off the acoustics of their new building.

After the chorus bowed, students dropped balloons from the stairways above, and guests were directed towards refreshments and opportunity drawings sponsored by ASG.

Inspired by the vegetative colors of Tecolote Canyon, the modern building boasts energy efficiency and sustainable construction materials. Student ambassadors like outreach member Naayieli Bravo provided tours of the building, telling guests about the many services offered within the center. The 85,000 sq. ft. building houses four floors of services aimed to help students, including financial aid, the student health center, counseling, and student government.

“Because I was president of Mesa College from 1993 to 2004, my perspective is a very intense memory of trying to do exactly this. We tried several different approaches, and each approach failed,” Carroll said. “Seeing it finally realized is a very moving experience for me…The students here should be proud of what they have. They really should.”

Mesa is looking forward to several more ceremonies like this one. The new math and science building is approaching completion, with occupancy planned for Jan. 2014. Fall of next year will see the opening of the social and behavioral sciences building. Construction on other parts of campus will continue through summer 2015.

After the ceremony, Luster said “I’m most excited because I think the students are going to define this space in terms of what’s most important to them. That’s the really cool part for me.”