Noah sparks worldwide debate making it one of this year’s “must-see” films

Noah+sparks+worldwide+debate+making+it+one+of+this+years+must-see+films+

The film, “Noah”, has been met with an eruption of both praise and criticism. Grossing 43.7M in its first weekend, “Noah” has intrigued both the religious and the nonreligious, sparking up quite the controversy. The movie was available to the public on March 28, 2014.

The movie begins with a quick summary of the beginning of mankind, the story of Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel, and the fall of man. Soon after, Noah (Russell Crowe) is introduced as a man who has direct communication with God, the “Creator.”

Tasked with the monumental duty of building an ark to withstand a worldwide flood, Noah is told to destroy the entire population of mankind, yet preserve the animal kingdom.  With his three sons, adopted daughter, and wife alongside him, he completes the ark, despite being challenged by powerful, immoral and doubting men. The “Creator” has chosen Noah to eradicate a wicked and corrupt generation, promising to consume the Earth by water.

Familiar Hollywood faces make the movie a “must-see.” Russell Crowe, Jennifer Connelly and Emma Watson grace the screen with passionate and impressive performances, representing characters that are at odds with themselves- deciding between obedience and personal desires. These internal struggles bring alive a biblical story that is typically retold like an embellished folktale with a hero and a happy ending.

Still, the film contained some elements that many Christians disagreed with. Criticized for its misinterpretation and embellishment of the Bible, “Noah” has caused people to question how director, Darren Aronofsky, filled in the gaps that are not explicitly illustrated in the book of Genesis. The movie is scattered with scenes that expose the supernatural world and peculiar rock creatures that act as Noah’s allies, both of which most Christians are not entirely familiar with.

Apart from the Biblical inconsistencies that cause some to dislike the film, Aronofsky’s artistic liberty and creative genius should surely be recognized and praised. Stunning scenery, impressive graphics, and effective cinematography made for a film that was, if nothing else, visually stunning.

Religious, irreligious or indifferent, my recommendation is to see this film and formulate your own opinion. “Noah” has surprised audiences across the globe for its scholarly, unique and eccentric approach on this well-known Biblical tale.