How to prepare yourself for finals

Finals are here and every semester they make tons of college students overwhelmed and extremely stress, especially if it’s a breaking point between getting a passing grade or failing the class.

A semester at any college goes by pretty quick for many students. And finals week  tends to hit you like a train. To keep yourself from panicking the first step is to be organized and write out which days you have your finals and to go from there. Once you have written the days down, then pick a class that is the most difficult for you and study that first. Make sure to take breaks and to relax. Also don’t eat too much before you study it can cause you to become sleepy and you won’t be able to study. Snacks are a must and will keep your brain active during study time. These snacks include, nuts, fruits and veggies or anything light.

Edilie Dizon a student at Mesa College said, “It’s crazy that finals are here already and I’m  just so anxious, but all you can do at this point is study all day and all night long.”

According to an US Today article in order to manage your anxiety from finals you must listen to calming music and stretch or breathe deeply, you can also avoid stress and release negative thoughts by doing these activities. Positivity is the key when going into finals week this helps you become motivated and determined to excel on your exam.

Be sure to drink lots of water and to keep yourself hydrated to nourish the brain and other parts of your body. Another tip that helps most students is to find your peace and to be one with the books so find a place where it’s quite and stress free such as the library or a Starbucks to help yourself be fully concentrated in the material you are about study for. Once you have your area and have organized the dates then its time to study. Reviewing your old exams and making flash cards from your notes can benefit you by refreshing your brain with the material you learned in the beginning of the semester. Memorizing any key ideas or words and formulas that you might need is necessary. Also the tutoring center in the admission building has tutors who can help with any problem that you might have and answer any questions. There hours are Monday through Thursday from 8:30 a.m.- 7:00 p.m. and on Fridays 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.. Make sure to take time between each study session to release any unwanted pressure and to not make your self overtired.

Prepare yourself mentally and physically using these few tips that can make a difference to a final exam. Good luck and remember stay organize, study, be prepared and relax.