Mesa College Dance Company masters the ‘Elements’

Mesa College Dance Company masters the Elements

The Mesa College Dance Company displayed their most recent collection of unique dances in ‘Elements.’ The show was at the Joan B. Kroc Theatre for one weekend and it consisted of 11 different dances.
Each semester the company puts on a showcase and each semester it alternates between teachers and students choreographing the pieces. This semester the students were the ones to come up with each dance. Over several months, the dancers had auditioned and prepared for their big moment on stage and it was exemplified through their performance.
It was easy to see that each group of dances had put a lot of hard work into their art.
The first two numbers were hip-hop type dances that perfectly opened up the show. The very first had a larger group of dancers which showcased the importance of teamwork and they each hit their marks with ease. The second had a smaller group which made the dance a little more intimate. Three couples were focused on and they each had their own interactions that kept you on the edge of your seat.
Another notable dance from the first act was the stand-out all female dance choreographed by Dani Daveiro entitled ‘It’s All in My Head.’ In this dance, which featured one of the largest number of dancers, expressed a very unique style of dance, as well as painting a beautiful picture.
The first act was full of many other dances, including the fantastic jazz number ‘First Taste’ choreographed by Bonnie Jiyoung Lee and ‘Injustice’ choreographed with a very powerful message by Anthony Reyes.
The second act began with ‘Gnoma Yetu’, and African style dance choreographed by Justin Ross. This dance was another stand-out in the show with its unique music and dance moves.
Next up ‘Pursuit of Happiness’ and ‘Be Strong and Carry On’ choreographed by Rachel Barnes and Nydia Duran. Both dances were strong and very fascinating.
‘A Storm Approaches’ choreographed by Jasmyn Hamblin was the perfect way to end the show. This dance featured the largest number of dancers each with matching outfits. The dance was big, the dancers were strong and the ending simulated a rainstorm. ‘Storm’ was definitely the biggest moment of ‘Elements.’
The show didn’t stop there. After that piece ended, each performer came out and did a final dance with one of their groups as the big curtain call/finale. The choreographers were each honored in that time and then each performer broke out into dance as the curtain closed.
Unfortunately, ‘Elements’ only lasted a weekend and the dancers are now getting a well-deserved break. Luckily, for those who didn’t get to experience this show, the Mesa College Dance Company is always thinking ahead. Join them for the Fall dance concert will be on November 12, 13 and 14, 2015.