Women’s Film Festival Pays Tribute

The Women’s Museum of California is currently hosting a film festival commemorating women’s achievements from around the world and throughout history. Opening night took place on March 2, with upcoming events every Sunday and Wednesday thereafter until Sunday, March 27. The museum will conclude the month-long event with “Underexposed”; an acclaimed documentary film that highlights women’s skateboarding and analyzes the skate industry’s approach to female skateboarders, according to the women’s film festival website. The Women’s Museum will host a variety of films that all enlighten viewers to the amazing accomplishments women have made in the name of equality and progression. Not only is it available to the general public, it is open to students for a discounted ticket price of $8.

In the essence of Women’s History Month, I attended the March 9th film and guest panel featuring Malala Yousafzai, a Pakistani teen who, at 15 years old, was shot in the head for speaking out against the Taliban for encouraging young girls and women to pursue their right to education. The film screening, “He Named Me Malala” was brilliant. Not only did it anger me that the Taliban was doing such horrific things to the people of Swat, Pakistan, it gave me faith as I watched how Malala was molded into the courageous young woman she is today. The film gave viewers a glance into her life of public appearances, her trips to countries in dire conditions, her educational success in secondary school, and her father’s immense support in the long road of becoming one of most influential advocates of our time. Malala’s fearless activism led her to become the youngest-ever Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. She has been featured on the cover of Time Magazine, Forbes Magazine and Newsweek following her activism.

Her momentous achievements haven’t slowed her leadership for young girls and women, but have driven her even further towards her goals of education for children and women all around the world. She is an influential and powerful voice in the face of social adversity towards women. I believe we are watching the making of a legend for the history books.

If you want to learn more about Malala, she also has a book available for purchase called “I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban.”

The film festival will continue at the Women’s Museum of California for the rest of the month. It will feature numerous films followed by a guest panel. If interested in attending, visit www.womensmuseumca.org for more information or directions to the Women’s Museum of California.