A peek into the current art exhibition on campus

Mesa College hosted the reception for the current art exhibition on campus titled “Why We Collect: the 20th-Century” on Oct. 13th. It was curated by professor, art enthusiast, and art collector, Kraig Cavanaugh. The exhibition, which is open for viewers until Nov. 8th, showcases many different pieces of original artworks that have been collected by different individuals who share a common passion for art. It is a collection that combines the different styles of cubism, fauvism, abstract expressionism, and many more.

Along with curator Cavanaugh, other collectors, the gallery director, and the Dean, attended the reception which began by the cutting of a ribbon at the entrance. This created an official feel for the grand opening of the exhibition. Following the ribbon cutting, the attendees entered the art gallery room and were free to explore the different artworks that are offered for viewing.

The dimly lit room showcased pieces from many of the different styles of art in the 20th-century. The artworks vary, and consist of paintings, drawings, and even vinyl recordings. Each piece is unique and seems to tell a different story. “Why We Collect: the 20th-Century” is also special in regards to how the collectors went about obtaining their pieces. Cavanaugh stated how he “had to have” one of his pieces that completed a set of four, and searched until he was able to purchase it.

Close to the entrance of the gallery there is a copy of a typed letter from Cavanaugh, which expresses the true significance of the exhibition that he, and others, worked to put together. The letter explained the curator’s passion for collecting art and sharing his collection with students. It went into detail about how the exhibition is a “special gift to all…former and current students.” This letter allows viewers to understand how genuinely special the exhibition is to Cavanaugh and to all who helped create and contribute pieces of art to the exhibition.

The exhibition includes artworks by well-known artists such as Andy Warhol, Pablo Picasso,  and Salvador Dali, among others. The artworks are mostly displayed on the walls, however some remain in the middle of the room, surrounding the exhibition guests with amazing pieces of art to examine while walking through the building.

Cavanaugh shared that one of his most treasured items that he contributed to the exhibition was a photo etching by Hans Richter. The artist had passed away as the artwork was being finished, which forced his wife to sign the bottom of the piece instead of Richter himself. “[I am] pleased with how [the exhibition] turned out and happy to present it to the Mesa community,” Cavanaugh said.

Overall, the exhibition displays many interesting and beautiful pieces of work, and gives people an opportunity to view pieces of artwork that they may not have had access to otherwise. The exhibition, located on Mesa College’s campus, is free of cost and is open for viewing Mon. through Thurs. during the art gallery hours.