Halloween scares in San Diego

The end of October is near and things are beginning to get spooky. Halloween is creeping up and living in San Diego provides its locals with many different events to help celebrate the holiday. Whether you’re looking for a thrill or just somewhere to take the kids we’ve gathered a list of the best options for your Halloween this year.

Seaworld Spooktacular

Seaworld Spooktacular is held at Seaworld were visitors have the chance to trick or treat, do animal themed arts and craft, and see sea life up close and personal. Seaworld Spooktacular runs until Oct. 30 and is included in park admission. The special Halloween events start at noon and last until closing.

Bates Nut Farm

For the past 50 years Bates Nut Farm has had a pumpkin patch available for families to come visit. This year they will also have tractor hayrides, straw mazes, petting corral, and snow pony rides. Not to mention, on the weekends there is live entertainment, food trucks, bounce houses, rock climbing, and more for the family to enjoy. Ticket prices vary and Bates Nut Farm Pumpkin

Haunted Trail

Haunted trails is located in Balboa Park. It is a mile long journey through a pathway themed after television shows and movies such as the Conjuring, Game of Thrones, and Stranger Things. Haunted Trails will also have a maze called eXperiment where visitors will need to find there own way out. It is not recommended for children under the age of 10. Haunted Trails will be open until Oct. 31 and operates daily at different times.

Haunted Hotel

The Haunted Hotel is located in Downtown at the Gaslamp District. According to Haunt World Magazine it is among one of the top 13 best haunted houses in America. The Haunted Hotel should leave you scared. This event also isn’t recommended for children under 10. Ticket prices vary at 19 for general Admission and 29 for VIP. The Haunted Hotel will be open until Oct. 31st with different hours of operation each day.

The Scream Zone

The Scream Zone is back this year that the Del Mar Fair Grounds. This year there is a new Zombie Boot Camp which is supposed to feel like you’re in a zombie apocalypse.  The Scream Zone offers 4 different attractions altogether. Haunted hayrides, clowns, zombies, and freaky carnival characters await. However for those who don’t enter the attractions there are food vendors and photo opportunities free of charge. Prices vary depending on the attractions and The Scream Zone is open until Oct. 31.

Pumpkin Station

The Pumpkin station has multiple locations including the Del Mar Fairgrounds, Parkway Plaza Mall, Plaza Bonita Mall, and Westfield Mission Valley Shopping Center. Each site includes kiddie rides, games, petting zoos, pumpkins, bounce houses and giant slides. There are also two Pumpkin Farm in Bonita and Rancho Bernardo where visitors can go through a corn maze, visit the pumpkin farm, see farm animals, and go on a hay ride. All pumpkin station attractions are open until Oct. 31.

Whaley House

The Whaley House is a historic museum located in Old Town. It was built in 1857 by Thomas Whaley and is the oldest two story brick house in Southern California. However it is also believed that spirits lurk around the premises. The house has attracted a lot of attention over the years from countless television shows and in 2005 Life magazine declared the Whaley house to be the most haunted house in America. It is believed that Thomas Whaley and his wife, their daughter, their great-granddaughter, their dog, and “Yankee Jim” Robinson are the ones still lurking around the house. Robinson was a man who was hung on the land before the house was built for Grand Larceny. The Whaley house has different events open to the public on Oct. 26, 28, and 31. These events include ghost tours and stories.