Lady Gaga surprises fans with new music

Lady Gagas new album Joanne is a departure from her previous work.
Doug Peters/Tribune News Service
Lady Gaga’s new album “Joanne” is a departure from her previous work.

Musical sensation Lady Gaga is finally giving fans what they want after releasing her first solo album since “Artpop” in 2013. Gaga’s latest album, “Joanne”, was recently released on Oct. 21, and has a surprising new sound that is receiving rave from her beloved fans.

The album portrays soft rock, folk, and even country tones. The Deluxe album consists of 14 new songs that show off Gaga’s amazing singing voice and further proves the artist’s range of vocal creativity. This new style is much different than the crazy, disco and pop-centered songs the world had previously known. As seen through the album reviews, fans seem to be enjoying the change. Gaga’s album has scored four and a half stars on iTunes thus far, has earned many positive comments from fans commending her work.

The name of the album, “Joanne”, has multiple meanings behind it. While Joanne is the star’s middle name, it is also the first name of Gaga’s late aunt. Along with the dedication of the album title, track three proves to be dedicated to both her aunt and her own middle name as well. This track is a soft yet powerful ballad that has that same title, “Joanne”. This melody does not stand alone in emotionally provoking songs. “Angel Down” is another tune that will be sure to pull heartstrings with its sad and soulful melody. While the softer side of Gaga has been emphasized in this new release, all of her spunky spirit has not been lost, and shows through in other energy-filled tracks. “Perfect Illusion” and “A-YO” are two songs that have an upbeat and dance worthy sound. Country tunes “Million Reasons” and “Grigio Girls” show a unique twang and interesting display of the singer’s skills. Along with these, the album has nine other new and catchy songs. 

Overall, the album seems to be a pleasant surprise from previous albums of Gaga. The new sounds truly shows the capabilities her voice has. Though the world has experienced some of her talent in previous albums and collaborations with stars such as Tony Bennett, this album from Gaga showcases a distinct tone and is gaining the approval of many of her followers.

Upon the announcement of the new album, Gaga did a three-show dive bar tour promoted by Bud Light. In this miniature tour she surprised three random cities and preformed her new songs at local bars there. She also Facebook live-streamed the shows so those that could not attend the performances could watch from their computer screen. This quick tour allowed Gaga to pay tribute and go back to her roots, as she gave her first performances at small bars years ago. Though no future tour dates have been scheduled yet, the singer/songwriter is set to be the headline at the Super Bowl halftime show in Feb. 2017. Whether watching at home from the TV, or live at the show, it is expected to be the performance of a lifetime filled with tunes from this new and revolutionary album.