International education week brings ‘Human’ documentary to Mesa campus

Diversity Club President, Jazmine Lahbabi, introduces ‘Human’ documentary.

In early November, Mesa College helped to celebrate diversity through international education week on campus. During this week different events were hosted on school grounds, including a screening of the documentary “Human,” which was presented by the Mesa College diversity club. The documentary was played in the Mesa Commons building on Nov. 16, and was welcome for all students and faculty to attend.

To introduce the film, Diversity Club President Jazmine Lahbabi began with a small speech regarding facts and information about the club, and the importance of celebrating differences and similarities in each other. During the speech students trickled in to help fill the seats of the auditorium where the documentary viewing was held.

The film began simply with a man sharing his emotional story of ending up in prison, and in the end explaining to the camera what love meant to him. This quick clip was then followed by a different man sharing his story, and also giving his explanation for the meaning of love.

After the initial two men shared, more and more single stories began to unfold. The stories consisted of different people from different cultures explaining what love meant to each of them.

Those being interviewed spoke a variety of languages and dressed with a unique style. The languages that were spoken and the clothes that were worn revealed that each person talking was from a different culture from somewhere around the world.

The variety of people who were chosen to speak showed that each culture, and more specifically each person, has their own unique yet somewhat similar view of love. Each response was full of emotion and eluded to the idea that love is a basic human need.

Along with the topic of love, the participants were questioned on topics like gender, work, abuse, violence and more. No matter the person’s race, ethnicity, background, or gender, each individual was able to relate to the topic and answer with their own opinion. The film was an attempt to break down stereotypes, and make the audience realize that at one’s core, everybody is human, and, regardless of differences, each person has underlying similarities.

The audience seemed to be enthralled with the film as each viewer sat completely silent with eyes glued on the screen. This was the final event to wrap up international education week on Mesa Campus, and students seemed to be pleased with the impactful film. The “Human” documentary is available for viewing on YouTube, and was highly recommended by those involved in the diversity club on campus.