Holiday events to check out in San Diego

Hotel del Coronado shows off their festive tree for the holiday season.
instagram.com/delcoronado

With the end of Thanksgiving and the first of December having passed, it is officially time for the holiday season! Time to decorate, celebrate and create memories. Considering all of the festive events to attend in San Diego, there is no better place to create special holiday memories than here.

Skating by the Sea, an activity hosted by the famous Coronado Hotel, is a winter tradition that cannot be missed. A large ice rink is set up just outside the hotel that overlooks views of the Pacific and Coronado Beach. Holiday music is played while skating, and seasonal goodies, like hot chocolate, can be purchased. The rink is up for visitors from now and on until Jan. 2. The cost is $25 per skater.

The beloved December Nights at Balboa Park are just around the corner; they will take place on Dec. 2 and Dec. 3. This will be the 39th December Nights hosted by Balboa Park, and will begin at 3 p.m. Food, shopping, entertainment, and museums will be featured at this popular event. The park will be festively lit up with dazzling lights and feature other decorations in spirit of the holidays.

One of the most practiced traditions during this time of year is light-viewing, and the Old Town Lights and Sights Trolley provides a tour of just that. Starting Dec. 2 and lasting until Dec. 30, Old Town’s trolley will get into spirit by taking guests on tours of holiday lights and decorations around San Diego. Tickets are $25 for adults and $15 for kids ages 3-12.

Another way to show spirit and enjoy what this city has to offer is through Jungle Bells at the San Diego Zoo. From Dec. 10 through Jan. 2, guests can check out the city’s famous zoo decked out with holiday cheer. Lights, food, and music will be added to the zoo’s usual display, making the animal-viewing experience even more special. Tickets are on sale for usual zoo admission prices.

If the holiday twinkling-light fix has not yet been met through above events, the Parade of Lights taking place on Dec. 11 and Dec. 18 is sure to satisfy the craving. For the 45th year in a row, decorated boats will parade through the ocean for viewers on the San Diego Bay to watch and to enjoy.

Finally, the San Diego Holiday Bowl Parade will take place on Dec. 27. This parade is said to fill the streets of downtown with plenty of balloons and floats to enjoy. The 2016 event will be held at 10 a.m., and the tickets are available for the price of $20 and can be purchased online.

While the blue skies and palm trees can be deceiving, there is no denying that San Diego has a lot to offer when it comes to festivities of the holiday season.