Mesa alumnus succeeds in science

For many of us, it can be difficult to see life after Mesa College. Student tunnel vision sometimes obscuring much besides Scantron sheets and expensive required texts, making degrees seem vaguely reminiscent of fabled creatures like Loch Ness or Bigfoot. Piecing together any kind of transfer agreement through careful planning in the overwhelming number of pages in the course catalog can easily feel like a harrowing undertaking. But, still, it can be done.

Tiago Antonio knows.

Antonio, a Mesa alumnus, was recently accepted into the Ecological Community Psychology Ph. D. program at Michigan State University. After leaving Mesa College, he went on to transfer to San Diego State University where he continued to participate in research in the area of teen relationship violence. Antonio was a Career Opportunities in Research scholar, a Minority Health and Health Disparities International Research Training scholar, and a Ronald E. McNair scholar.

Before all of this, though, Antonio was recognized as a 2005 Bridges to the Baccalaureate scholar at Mesa College. The program, according to director Jaye Van Kirk, “seeks to identify promising underrepresented scholars in the sciences who have aspirations for careers in scientific research.”

“I remember that day as if it was yesterday,” said Antonio about the day he first became aware of the Bridges to the Baccalaureate program. “I would always chat with Dr. Kawahara [Bridges director] after class until one day he mentioned this great opportunity to conduct research. Although I didn’t really know what Bridges was, I applied anyway because Dr. Kawahara believed I could succeed in it.”

Since then, his passion for answers and research has nothing but multiplied, as has his experience. Through Mesa, Antonio received his first hands on research opportunity. During his first summer involved with the Bridges program, given the hands on experience of conducting statistical analysis, as well as learning research methodology and scientific writing.

“It is hard to put into words how the Bridges program has helped in my success,” Antonio stated. “The program provided me with opportunities that I never thought I could have. The directors of Bridges [professor Jaye Van Kirk and Dr. Yosh Kawahara] were and are constantly encouraging me to ask questions and take opportunities as they appeared.”

One such opportunity is the chance to travel to Brazil, where Antonio was born and raised, to pursue research that he hopes will help the neglected youth who reside on the streets there and address the social problems inside low-income, violent communities.

“While many homeless youth choose to pursue criminal careers, others do not. My question of interest is mainly ‘Why?’ Why do children from similar violent environments sometimes choose different pathways?” he asked. “Perhaps the answers to some of these questions will guide us on how to create intervention and prevention programs that will help to improve the quality of life of these children and their communities.”

He plans to begin his first project on Brazilian homeless youth in the coming month with professors at San Diego State University.

It is not difficult to see the passion he feels for his field. Antonio feels that in order to understand the world one must study enough to learn about other groups of people that will, in turn, grant you greater appreciation.

This is a fire that’s lighting that can be, at least partially, attributed to Mesa. Antonio stated that he had several professors who were very passionate about their research and their zeal was a gateway into his own.

“Their passion made me want to learn about research no matter what. They taught me to never give up on my goals and persist on finding answers to my questions.” Antonio said. “They taught me to believe in myself.”

Of course, this was not all without struggle.

“It is not easy to study full-time, work on research, and have a personal life; to succeed one has to sacrifice. However, success is possible and anyone can achieve it.” Antonio said.

He noted that there is a necessary balancing and juggling act that must occur between an individual’s “personal, academic, and professional life” in order to remain sane.

But, ultimately, Antonio believes “knowledge is a healthy way to free the mind.”

“I live to learn,” he said. “I learn to live.”