Companies Provide Mesa Students with Discounts Left and Right

In a time when budget cuts are affecting not only our schools but its students directly, the words “student-discounts” should be taken into much consideration.

All over campus there are bulletin boards posted in what seems every which-way you look. Posted on them are dozens of flyers and advertisements, but when bouncing from class to class, one hardly takes the time to stop and see what all the fuss is about.

“Being-Fit Fitness Centers” are one of the many companies who advertise their promotions all over the Mesa campus. If you’re looking to get some exercise at an affordable rate you should check it out because they are providing students with some good quality deals (that expire soon). If a flyer is presented to one of their two locations in either Clairemont or Mira Mesa, you receive a free 7 day pass just to try it out. Its $0 to join and only $15 dollars a month- essentially half the price of places like 24 Hour Fitness, LA Fitness, or Frogs Club. Their second option is to simple pay $180 up front for the entire year. Students also receive two free personal training sessions, and free access to over 25 group classes (like yoga, pilates, zumba, or belly dancing). What’s even better about their offer, is not only are students getting discounts, but their also interacting with fellow peers in a “student-friendly” atmosphere.

Next time you’re in the student bookstore or admissions offices, make sure to grab “San Diego Student Consumer Card” that include discounts to places like Boot World, Napa Auto Care Center, Walgreens, Retro Exchange, Supercuts, Papa Johns, Panda Express, Carl’s Jr., Karina’s Mexican Seafood Cuisine, San Diego Desserts, Golden Spoon, Audio City, Tan 4 Less, EC Tattoo and Piercing, Express Tire, and even the San Diego Zoo.

Twenty-two year old Mesa Student Geoff Munoz is one who can’t refuse a good discount when he sees it. “I think the discount cards are a cool idea. I’d like to see a wider variety of companies promoting student discounts. I want more of a selection other then fast food joints- I think we need healthier more affordable options, since being healthy these days is hardly affordable.”

The discount cards also include more heavy duty discounts for things such as Lasik Eye Surgery, Student Accident Lawyers, Student Auto Insurance, and even Student Dental Plans. What makes these cards so convenient is that you can use them regularly as long as you present your student ID each time. In fact, they don’t even expire until January 2010.

AT&T is another company providing a limited-time offer on student rates for Mesa goers. Everyone’s plan varies, but they advertise saving 6% on qualified charges. If you already have AT&T you should speak to a representative to learn more on whether you qualify or not (make sure to mention you go to Mesa College).

You don’t just have to go to Mesa College to receive this last bargain. MAC Computers is providing an awesome deal for college students all over- Buy a MAC for college, and get a free iPod touch.

So even through these rough fiscal times, our schools and different companies out there are doing their part to provide students with options that won’t entirely empty out their pockets.