Domestic Violence Incident at Mesa Leads to Arrest

Police and EMT responded to an apparent domestic dispute call on campus in front of the LRC today around 1 p.m. It is reported that two Mesa students intervened. More details to come. Photo by M.A. Damron-Photo Editor

M.A. Damron-Photo Editor

M.A. Damron-Photo Editor

Monica Marie Dube, Staff Writer

Updated as of March 14 at 5:56 p.m.

A 37-year-old man was arrested on March 14 after physically assaulting a 19-year-old continuing education Mesa student, believed to be his wife.

According to Lt. Jack Doherty, police responded to a report of a disturbance in front of the LRC approximately 20 minutes after noon.  At the same time, another officer was contacted who was attending the “Coffee with a Cop” event in front of the I-400 building. Once police arrived at the scene, the two individuals involved were questioned.

The suspect was identified as Sidi Soaf, a non-student who allegedly contacted the victim by cellphone and after a conversation, subsequently came to Mesa and started assaulting her. “He allegedly grabbed her and dragged her,” Lt. Doherty said.

A student who observed the incident said, “I saw a young lady coming out of the library with her husband.  He was physically attacking her and pulling her out and she looked very troubled.  Me and some friends asked if she was OK and she said no, so at that point we took it upon ourselves to call campus security to mediate the situation.”  He added, “It was a good thing we did because it looked like she needed help. She was definitely scared.”

Paramedics were called to the scene as the victim had visible injuries and abrasions, but medical treatment was ultimately not needed.

Soaf was arrested and transported to the San Diego County Jail on a charge of domestic violence, penal code 273.5.  An investigation is ongoing.

———————–

Police and EMT responded to an apparent domestic dispute call on campus in front of the LRC today around 1 p.m. It is reported that two Mesa students intervened. More details to come.

• Domestic Violence Incident at Mesa Leads to Arrest