Clubs Put on a Show for Students

After high school, students often wonder at how four years passed so quickly. Students often ponder with regret at all the activities that they did not participate in.  Many simply polish their academic skills or join an athletic team while others go a choose a different path and join clubs.

Because of the vast array of students, there has been a growing amount of clubs on campus. The club rush week is the perfect time to view what Mesa College has to offer. There are many clubs that fit varying interests. To name a few there is the  Fencing Club, Mesa Robotic Organization, and the Student Veteran Organization.

The fencing Club is advised by Professor Paul Sykes from the Biology wing. The club meets on Mondays and Wednesdays in room L102 from 7 a.m. – 8 a.m.  “I like to think of it as a full contact chess… a thinking person’s game.” recalled Sykes. Everyone is welcome to join, both students and staff!

Next is the Mesa Robotics Organization. It is advised by Professor Duane Wesley, who is the chair of Computer and Information Sciences here at Mesa College. Usually, they meet on Fridays in the K201 Building at 11 a.m., but on the first Fridays of every month they have their meeting at  G101 Auditorium to listen to a specially invited guest speaker. Past speakers include: chief technology officer of Stanford University and the Department Chair of Biology from San Diego State University.  To name a few of their creations are: purpose bots, micro mouse, and a quad copter robot. It is possible to even join competitions. It is encouraged to join and support the club to see what else can be created.

Lastly is the Student Veteran Organization, advised by Professor Joe Schanberger of the  mathematics department. This club is to “maximize veterans’ learning experience, help veterans’ network and aware them on different veterans’ benefits.” The members have served in the armed forces and have created this “brotherhood through generations”, regardless of their age, to help other veterans network with one another and share past experiences. Their goal is to help situate veterans back into society and help make their academic experience the best it could possibly be. New members are always welcome to join.

Those listed are only a few clubs offered at Mesa College, others include the : Mesa Japan Club, M.E.Ch.A., Muslim Student Association, and STAR Club. Most clubs accept new members throughout the year; it is never too late. There are many more clubs here at Mesa College where there is a club to suit everyone’s interests. After all, if one cannot find an interesting club to join, one can always create a new club.