How to pay off up to $5000 of enrollment fees

Being a college student, we have our necessities—with a large chunk of it relating to money. First off, there’s food, (for some) bills and housing to worry about. Then, there are the enrollment & health fees to cover, not to mention our method of transportation as well -whether it’s gas or bus passes. With all these costs to cover, it’s nearly impossible for a student to focus solely on education , let alone have a job.

Unknown to some is an option providing them with benefits for all, regardless of age, gender, or whether one is a part-time or full-time student. This “earning potential” is called work study. It provides ample time for class work and studies, with the chance to pay off up to $5000 of their enrollment fees during their free hours on the Mesa campus.

Work study is “[…] in fact a real job […] not paid study-hall” meaning this requires the same level of professionalism for a job outside of campus. Employed students generally work 10-20 hours (with 25 being the maximum) and typically, they earn between $8-$10 an hour, depending on the type of position and location. Students “get paid more for more responsibility.” Also, despite the fact students are paid “an income paid from work, […it] does not count against FAFSA”. This means continuing work study students would still be able to receive financial aid and grants, without the job counting as an income.

Foremost, before an individual applies for work study, they must have applied for financial aid using FAFSA, which stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Afterwards, they would head over to the Financial Aid department, located on the first floor of the Student Services Building for a detailed interview with the Work Study Coordinator Skyler Dennon. January 1 – April 15 is the deadline to apply. But, it is recommended to have all paper work completed prior to March 2 to receive priority for state aid as well. (This route is highly suggested as students are usually waitlisted, with a toppling amount of 1,624 as of right now.) Once all the mandatory paperwork is completed and it has been assessed that the individual is eligible for work study, the individual would “[…] hopefully receive a referral” to the department of their choice. (However this is not guaranteed because of the limited budget.) From then on, they would attend an interview with the department—who is looked at as the future employer. Additionally, work study can be listed on a résumé, for it successfully gives students skills to utilize in future employments, such as “[…] how to be responsible employees, communicating with supervisors, [how to] clock in and clock out, and as well as earning a paycheck.”

As of right now, 5 work study students are needed at Lafayette Elementary School (on Clairemont) as English tutors. (With that being said, a strong English comprehension skill is needed). However, they must currently be on the waitlist as the deadline to apply is over. This opportunity should be taken into consideration to those with majors in Child Care, English, Sociology, and Psychology.

Although the deadline to apply for work study has passed, take note of the dates provided above and be sure to apply next time. For further information, head to Financial Aid department placed on the first floor in the Student Services building.