The Motivational Force that is Sade Burrell

Sade Burrell, a new faculty member since April 2016, and contributor to a newly renewed San Diego Mesa College that helps fostered youths and undocumented students get benefits on campus, starts her day by writing down three things she is thankful for.

While she is new on campus, Burrell is not new to helping people and being inspirational.  As a former foster youth herself, in and out of group homes, juvenile hall, and “the whole nine yards,” Sade knows how rough it can be for anyone in foster care, or similar situations.  Sade had a tough time in high school, even calling herself a “troubled teen,” but still managed to rise against the odds and graduate high school with her class in 2006. She became a top student track athlete at Cuyamaca College and later attended San Diego State University on full scholarship from the Alex Smith Foundation.

You can recognize Sade by her confident and encouraging demeanor. Her straight forward, no nonsense approach to life would make even the laziest of people feel inspired to be better students. She is talkative and incredibly proud of all the students she has in her programs, calling them “the most resilient group of people [she has] ever met.”

As well as being a motivational speaker, she has also been a public advocate for fostered youth and an author.  Her book, which is titled, “What Are You Reaching For” “focuses on how to overcome obstacles while prioritizing your purpose.” (Sadeburrell.com) Her book can be found for sale at San Diego State University and other community colleges, and some of her motivational speeches can be viewed on YouTube.

Sade is extremely passionate about helping students on campus and says that her number one goal while working here is to provide scholarship opportunities for students who would like some financial help instead of having to work long hours while going to school full time.

In her interview, Burrell says that success boils down to being consistent and dedicated.  She wants to tell students that the best way to succeed is to “never, ever just be a student.”  Do everything in your power: go to office hours, network, and most of all, “anything with your name attached to it needs to be done with the spirit of excellence.”

Sade does recognize that balancing school and life is tough, but is sure to point out that it is supposed to be hard: “If it’s easy, everybody would do it.” She points out that if we take it easy now, life will be more difficult later.

Even when she has a bad day, she makes sure the next day begins well by waking up and thinking about what she’s grateful for. She says, “If I fail today, I’m coming back tomorrow.”

Burrell is a motivational force to be reckoned with. Great things, from this powerful woman, can be expected in the future.