Cinco de Drinko

Sombreros, fake mustaches, $5 20oz. margarita specials and Taco Tuesday, apparently to people everywhere (especially here in San Diego) this is how we celebrate Mexico’s Independence Day.

But if you were to ask anyone in your favorite local PB bar, would they be able to explain what Cinco de Mayo actually is, probably not.

According to History.com, in 1861, Mexican President Benito Juarez was forced to hand over financial debts to European governments. Because of this Britain, Spain and France sent over naval forces for the reimbursement of their money.

After negotiations Spain and Britain removed their forces but France was not going to let it go under rule of Napoleon III. The decision to create an independent empire within Mexico was under-go and heavily armed French soldiers forced Juarez and his people into retreat.

It was during the French-Mexican war that a battle under General Ignacio Zaragoza was led. With 2,000 Mexican soldiers against 6,000 French soldiers, France clearly had the upper hand in the battle. Under General Charles Latrille de Lorencez, the French went straight for the city of Puebla de Los Angeles. Juarez rounded up a quick troop and began the attack from the north on the French. From daybreak to early evening, the Battle of Puebla took place and by the end of it Lorencez and his troops retreated with over 500 French soldier casualties and only 100 Mexican.

This did not create victory for the overall French-Mexican war but it did create confidence and resistance within the country and six years later the war was won and the French left Mexico (in case you didn’t know)

But today, many in the United States have dubbed this holiday “Cinco de Drinko” and ignorantly use it as an excuse to become belligerently drunk, but all in the name of honor. Some may say it’s being sensitive, some may not, but dawning a traditional Mexican poncho and mustache while downing six shots of well tequila in “honor” of the Battle of Puebla, especially if one isn’t Mexican, can be construed as racism. Take it for what it is; this is ‘merica after all.