Black Sankofa: Loving Your Skin

For many years, members of the black community have been shamed because of their darker complexion. So much so, the self-esteem of the community has taken a steep decrease as a whole. With all the negative attention engulfing the nation regarding African Americans, it is now time for a reminder that black skin is enough.

Kaylyn Riley, a business student here at San Diego Mesa College, stated, “I feel like we as black women don’t get enough credit. We’ve been talked down upon. I’ve just moved from Indiana, so it feels like the pressure of loving yourself is even worse here. Not even wanting to accept yourself because the ones that people notice is the typical definition of beautiful.”

Many students experience uncertainty in this world we live in. A world full of blurred, biased, and unfair conceptions of what beauty is. There are no two people that look the same, and that’s okay. There are numerous complexions of humans, however, somehow a large amount of melanin-filled individuals are less valued in this society. Now is the time to briefly refresh the darker skin individuals on why their skin is enough.

For starters, individuals of African descent are products of their ancestors. Thousands of strong African American men and women spent over 300 years fighting to preserve the existence of the generations now. They’ve spent countless hours to ensure their offspring were able to take advantage of the time now. Questioning the darker skin tone is simply obscure.

African ancestors have sacrificed blood, sweat, and tears so they can wear their skin proudly. They are a product of a long, hard-fought legacy. Embrace it, love it, and wear it with pride.

Aside from their legacy filled veins, black is different. The ideal human in society’s eye doesn’t exist. The darker skin is not only beautiful, but it makes individuals that more interesting. Picture a school of red fish swimming in a deep blue sea. In that school, there is one black fish. You are it.

This life “system” portrayed as reality is just a façade. Colorism is a strategic system where there is a higher value in lighter skin, internalized and taught. However, it is slowly being revealed that it is no longer “it”. For example, girls spend money on spray tans and tanning booths. They can only wish their skin were darker. They can only aspire to have the natural glow society tells darker skin individuals is not beautiful. When asked about her thoughts on tanning, Kaylyn stated, “Its ugly on us, but when they get modified its “oh my gosh you’re so pretty”.

Trust, the negative thoughts can be darker than the skin sometimes.

To top it off, black individuals are scientific warriors. The melanin in their skin is protecting them from skin tumors and cancers. Melanin acts ideally as a natural sun tan lotion, shielding humans from Ultraviolet radiation from the sun. According to PubMed.gov, African Americans are seventy times less to develop skin cancer. In other words, as the ozone layer continues to deplete, melanin filled skin is able to endure harmful rays better than spray tans could ever.

Society is forever changing. Chasing its acceptance will only leave one running in circles. African Americans have always been, are, and will remain enough. It is okay to be black, it is okay to be proud. It is even better to be black and proud. In the words of Kaylyn, “You don’t need to be like everybody else. Just because it’s different, doesn’t mean it’s bad, don’t worry about what everyone else is saying.” Black is enough.