“Peace with Police” event aims to ease tension with police officers

San Diego Mesa College hosted an event on proper police encounter etiquette on Oct. 18. The “Peace with Police” event helped students get proper instructions on how to go home safely after a police encounter. Throughout the entire event, it has been concluded that civilians are required to make much more of a conscious and physical effort than the officers.

Officer Paul D. Hubka led the event, beginning by explaining what goes through an officers’ mind during a traffic stop. He explained how every officer must approach with caution because they have no way of knowing what and who is in the car until they get to the drivers window. “The only thing that can hurt an officer is not knowing where your hands are,” said Hubka. He also gave a suggestion that he does, that civilians can also do in the event of a traffic stop. Hubka suggested, “At night, you can turn on all the lights to make sure the officer can see everything is visible.” Keeping hands in plain sight at all times is a major key to driving home alive at the conclusion of a traffic stop.

Another major key to a successful police encounter is moving slow. Quick or normal speed moves apparently can trigger a quick defensive mechanism in officers, which can lead to the worst fear of many. Also, communicating to the officer is a fair idea. “It’s all about communication,” said Officer Mark Green. Informing the officer of your every move before making it and while doing it will encourage the officer to stay calm without getting defensive. If you feel the urge to tell the officer you’re going to reach for your wallet, grab your insurance, unbuckle your seatbelt, turn down the music, blink your eyes, or even take your next breathe, ensure that you do so.

“Whenever you feel like something is not going your way or you’re being violated, you can voice your opinion, but you still have to do what the officer says because that’s the way the contact ends peacefully. After that, you go to the administration and file a complaint,” said Hubka. Either way, morally or realistically wrong or right, as a civilian you must comply with everything an officer demands with or without explanation. That is of course, if getting home for dinner is a goal.

On the plus side, Hubka informed and clarified some of the rights civilians have. For instance, if one feels uncomfortable with the officer pulling you over, you have the right to request a new officer. Civilians are allowed to remain in their vehicles while the other officer is in route. Also, there is a policy in every unit that when asked for the name and badge number, all officers must comply. In addition, if you want to pull to a safer area, with better lighting or less hazards, you may do so. “As long as you’re going slow and not trying to get away from us, you can pull off the freeway,” said Hubka.

Police Chief Raymund Aguirre is working endlessly to ensure his officers are consciously aware of the safest precautions and the constant changes in society. “We have to make sure people are comfortable with us,” said Aguirre. He also ensured us that policy and training are being changed in hopes of safer encounters. However, Aguirre understands that, “if the character of the officer is going to stay the same, it is not going to change. Officers have to change their mindsets.” He goes on stating, “… but at the same time, you are going to have to learn to trust, and I know that’s a lot, but its a lot for the officers to change as well.” Officers are asking civilians to treat every officer accordingly. If an officer mistreated someone in a previous traffic stop, having a defensive approach in tone or action to a new officer is unsafe. Although that sounds ridiculous, the officers are the authority figures of this country.

Aguirre ensured that Officer Green, Hubka, and many other officers are dedicated to our safety and comfort here on campus and in the community. In response to the trust issue between officers and civilians, Hubka stated in the most sincere voice, “At least give them a chance, go talk to them (officers)… This is not me, this is just my job.” In perhaps the highlight of the event, Aguirre stated, “We both have to change our attitudes to come to that (trusting) medium.”