Mesa women’s basketball team shoots for successful season

Mesas+womens+basketball+team+is+anticipating+another+successful+season.+
Mesa’s women’s basketball team is anticipating another successful season.

The Mesa women’s basketball team is ready to start off their brand new season with hopes of becoming Pacific Coast Athletic Conference champions.

With the leadership of head coach, Michael Hootner, the Lady Olympians have been steadily practicing and adapting to their new team members an offensive plays.

“We’re running a completely new offense. We’re running the Princeton offense which is a very exciting, very fun, offense,” Hootner said. ”They’ve welcomed it and the love it.”

The Olympian women seem pretty confident in the season’s new talent and are very much excited to showcase their new additions.

“We recruited greatly for this upcoming season and we have some great talent,” guard Rachel Bennett said. “I’m excited for what’s gonna happen this season.”

Last season wasn’t exactly satisfying for the ladies, but they plan on bouncing back and making up for the previous year. Ending off the season falling short of becoming Pacific Coast Athletic Conference title holders didn’t sit too well with them all, nor did it break them.

“Last season was rough, but we made it through,” guard and forward Chelsea Kyle said. “ We made some changes this year, so it’s getting better.”

Bennett referred to last season as their “rebuilding year” because that is exactly what they are in the process of doing. With lots of practice, the desired results are to remain as one and be pushed to do better.

The Olympians have succeeded in other aspects though.

“In terms of moving players on, between the last three years we’ve had 14 different players from our program move on to the next level. There’s other ways that we measure the program in terms of success,” Hootner said.

Without unity it will be nearly impossible for this team to reach their endeavors for this season and the ones to come. They are aware that being an actual unified working force is the way to go.

“We need to stay unified as a unit and as a team and no matter what just be there for one another and pick each other up when times get tough,” Bennett said.