Womens Swim and Dive Stays Afloat

After winning the state championship in water polo coach Jim Fegan, swim coach of 22 years at Mesa, and some of his swimmers, who play water polo, have found themselves in the middle of the pack during the 2016 swim and dive season and 2-2 in dual meets. “We have potential to do well individually. We have a smaller team this year. The performance of a couple individuals is really encouraging and fun to watch. Unfortunately I don’t think we will be competing for conference championship this year. Our depth is hurting us. You usually have around 4-5 divers and we only have one due to injuries. Kirina Miranda is our one diver and she’s done a great job this year. A lot of the girls are improving and doing well,” said coach Fegan, “with our core group of freshmen, if they come back, along with a good recruiting class, there will be a great group of girls next year. The combination of both leaves no doubt in my mind they’ll be conference champions and maybe one of the top three or four teams in the state. It’s a long ways away and things can change, but it’s very encouraging especially with the caliber of girls coming back. “
Freshman Lilli Lindgard sprinter “She’s one of the top sprinters in the state. She should win three events at conference and qualify for the state championship and do quite well.”
Freshman Natalie Garcia middle distance swimmer “She should also do quite well at conference and come close to making the state cut along with another freshman Victoriana Gonzalez.”
Freshman Cassie Bernas will be on one of the relays that go to state as well as freshman Amanda Wasko who could really help in a couple of relays and do well at conference championship too. “We have a chance to put together a good relay team that can put up state qualifying times.”
Though the season is near it’s end, the future for the women’s swim and dive still looks bright.