Mesa’s Football Team Is Off To An Amazing Start

Mesa's Mens Football team celebrating after a win vs. Antelope Valley College
Photo Credit: Harmony Ayala-Ruiz

Mesa's Mens Football team celebrating after a win vs. Antelope Valley College Photo Credit: Harmony Ayala-Ruiz

Michael Scott, Staff Writer

So far, the Mesa Olympians have started this season undefeated. Both blowouts were a sign that maybe this might be the year to take conference, something the football program has not done since 2008. With a high-powered offense and a stellar defense to match, this year’s team is going to be turning a lot of heads.

Mesa’s offense is looking really good this season. Led by second year coach, Peter Lofthouse, this year’s football team is bound to make waves once conference comes. Lofthouse, known for his past success at Citrus College with a pass heavy, spread offense, has plenty of help implementing his play style with sophomore quarterbacks Spencer Moyer and Jeremiah Henderson under center. Paired with the solid receiving core and offensive line, look out for Mesa’s passing game to be a real threat this season. You also cannot forget about the run game. Running Backs Logan Vallo, and Qwayjon Walker, lead the Olympians in rushing, averaging over 5 yards per carry over the past two games.

Defensively, Mesa’s team this year is stacked with playmakers. Over the past two games, Mesa’s defense has picked off the ball six times, and forced five fumbles, with two of those turnovers being ran back for touchdowns by freshman defensive back, Jordan Gochenour. In addition to turnovers, Mesa’s defense has held their opponents to only 21 rushing yards combined. If the saying is true, that defense wins championships, then our defense is going to bring Mesa home a title.

Overall, Mesa’s football team this year is nothing to play with, these guys are the real deal. With a high-powered offense and a defense to match, this year’s team is bound to make waves in the SCFA(Southern California Football Association). Make sure to come out to a game this season and support the football team on what may be a breakout year for the Olympians.

Michael Scott, Sports Editor

Michael is a 23 year old college student at Mesa. He is originally from the Bay Area and moved to San Diego 2yrs ago for a change in scenery. After finishing...

• Mesa’s Football Team Is Off To An Amazing Start