‘Gone Girl’ is disturbingly entertaining romantic- drama- gone- wrong (but oh so right)

“Gone Girl,” directed by David Fincher, premiered on October 3, debuting with a 37.5 million dollar opening weekend. Based on the bestseller “Gone Girl” by Gillian Flynn, with a script written by the author herself, it accurately follows the literary plotline, unfolding like a 149-minute two-part mini-series that focuses on two main points. The film follows an alleged homicide investigation that, ironically, acts to reveal the weaknesses of the modern marriage and the sensationalized media. The film is hard to classify – you could say it’s sort of a romantic, comedic drama turns twisted, perverse thriller seething with moral ambiguity. It’s unpredictably impulsive plotline,  transcendent performances and directive ingenuity makes this film nothing short of a masterpiece that you certainly do not want to miss.

The movie begins with an introduction of the couple in the film – Nick Dunne, played by Ben Affleck, and Amy Dunne, played by Rosamund Pike. Their house is picturesque, nestled in a quiet, privileged suburban neighborhood in Missouri. Initially, it appears that the couple is living the ultimate American dream with an idyllic marriage and glittering careers. However, moments into the film, Nick is seen sitting in a bar, throwing back a shot, talking to the bar tender, alluding to his failing marriage.

As the story unfolds, the film flip-flops between the investigation and flashbacks of Nick and Amy’s marriage, which are narrated by Amy and exposed via her diary entries. These flashbacks begin with the moment that they meet at a swanky event. Both writers, their initial conversations are clever, quick-witted and flirtatious. Following this, the audience is privy to their quixotic and frisky courtship, seeing them fall deeply in love with each other, while making a conscious effort to avoid becoming one of those “unhappy” couples.

Nick arrives home from the bar to discover that his home has been invaded and that his wife is missing. He immediately contacts the police and the investigation begins. Nick is then thrust into the media spotlight, criticized for having an inappropriate response to the situation and for appearing smug and unaffected. Throughout the film, there are segments of the news that show multiple anchors making hasty criticisms toward Nick and accusing him of being involved in his wife’s murder.

Rosamund Pike as Amy gives an entirely bewitching, hypnotic and tantalizing performance, finally getting her turn as the main character, deservedly. The complexity of her purpose in the film makes her both lovable and despicable, confusing the audience and causing them to doubt their initial assumptions and impressions. Pike’s all-American girl appearance, coupled with her ability to be spookily manipulative throughout the film, makes her elusive and almost ethereal, drawing the audience in as an ally. Altogether, her sublime performance is one of the main reasons that this film is one of the best of the year.

Nick, on the other hand, is somewhat of a static character, remaining true to his identity throughout the entire film – confident and charming, with the slightest hint of haughtiness. While his performance is one of the most natural we’ve ever seen, Affleck’s aloof and transparent character caused him to be less impressive that Pike, who was dynamic and layered. Unfortunately, his role left little opportunity to impress. Still, at the end of the film, viewers can expect to feel intensely conflicted about both characters.

Apart from being sucker punched in the face by plot twists and one blood spattering murder scene, the audience can quickly come to understand that the thick plotline only slightly masquerades the film’s main objective – to offer a sick satire on a marriage drowning in a pool of resentment and an incompetent and presumptuous media that glorifies drama over fact.

“Gone Girl” is entertaining, mesmerizing, and worth your time, bringing a depth to the big screen that has been lacking in Hollywood throughout the whole of 2014. Although the film is long, it certainly does not drag on, including multiple climactic moments that consequently divulge entirely new plot lines. With every twist and turn, audience members can be heard shifting in their seats.

At the start of the film, we see Amy’s warm, blonde locks being tenderly tousled by her husband as he speaks, “I imagine cracking her head open, unspooling her brain, trying to get answers.” Repulsively disturbing or eerily romantic? View the film to find out, and to experience how masterfully Flynn and Fincher bring a whole new meaning to “Until death do us part.”

Actor Ben Affleck plays the aloof and unaffected Nick Dunne in one of this year's best thrillers, "Gone Girl." Photo credit: Olivier Douliery/Abaca Press/MCT
Actor Ben Affleck plays the aloof and unaffected Nick Dunne in one of this year’s best thrillers, “Gone Girl.” Photo credit: Olivier Douliery/Abaca Press/MCT