Basketball preview: Star trio looking to take Mesa to the Promised Land

Throw last years 11-15 record out the window, head coach Ed Helscher has brought in an excellent recruiting class that could push the team all the way to the state playoffs.

“We have a nice team this year. Coach keeps stressing that we have a nice team. Not to get our heads thick, but to let us know that we could actually do something this year,” said starting shooting guard Novian Cherry who has verbal offers from Nevada, Loyola Marymount and Detroit so far.

A former high school teammate of Cherry’s at Morse High School, Darreon Tolliver, is the starting power forward. Tolliver played in nine games last season for Frank Phillips College in Borger, Texas. “Tolliver has heard from several schools already,” said Helscher. Tolliver is explosive and can dunk the ball with authority. While Cherry and Tolliver were at Morse, they lost to eventual state champion Lincoln High School by just one point. Lincoln had Norman Powell, Tyree Robinson and Tyrell Robinson. Powell is now playing at UCLA while the Robinson twins play for Oregon.

When you play a team that good and only lose by one, you have to be excited about the future. Then add-in Jordan Taylor, Taylor played for Edison Community College last season and averaged 15 points per game according to the National Junior College Athletic Association. Taylor was a starter for Edison and will be the starter for Mesa at small forward according to coach Helscher.

Three players are in the running for starting point guard. They are Mike Von Borstel, Earl Schexnayder and Vincent Petties-Wilson. “We still haven’t made our decision who’s gonna start there yet,” said Helsher.

The center position is also one that will have two players battling for a position. Right now O’Neil Brauthigam will start. The other center, Billy Schmitt will battle out for the starting spot when he is healthy, “Billy had to have surgery a few weeks ago, he is going to need a little more recovery time,” said Helscher, “ But those two will battle out for that starting spot at five.”

The players who don’t win starting spots will still see the floor, “Those guys will be playing significant minutes,” said Helscher.

J.J. Coleman and Arturo Torralba will be key guys off the bench, “J.J. could start for us but I like how he brings scoring threats off the bench, he gives that punch that you like in a 6th man,” said Helscher, “Arturo is a big guy and I think he will see significant amount of playing time.”

Free throw shooting seems to be most teams achilles heel and Mesa is working hard to solve the problem. “We were horrendous for 2 or 3 years in a row. Thats why were shooting free throws right now,” Helscher said at the beginning of practice, “We start everyday and every practice shooting free throws and I tell the guys I start with what I consider to be the most important thing were gonna do that year.” Nothing is more frustrating then losing a game because of missed free throws, and even if all this practice just makes the difference in one game it will be completely worth it.

“We need to be a focused group. This group is athletic but they lose their focus,” said Helscher.

Mesa’s home opener is Nov. 30th against West Hills College at 1 p.m.