Sustainability Week Preview

A preview of the upcoming Sustainability Week at Mesa

Sustainability week San Diego Mesa College is going to be held on Oct. 20 through Oct. 23. It is a series of events focused on global issues and solutions pertaining to food security, water resources, and climate change. Assistant Professor of Geography, Waverly Ray explains “The purpose of Sustainability Week is to provide students with the opportunities for in-depth discussions and hands-on activities that highlight the contributions that the arts, sciences, and humanities have made in understanding our planet.”

It kicks off with the Mesa Organic Garden Party on Tuesday Oct. 20 at Marlesta Dr & P100, there is going to be music, spoken word and more, says Ray. On day two, “cross disciplinary dialogues” involving talks on Art History, Spanish, Economics, and Accounting will be held in room H-117. Day three is a Film Festival, showing films on nutrition, environmental sustainability, and sustainable architecture from 9:30am to 4pm in the H117 building.

Sustainability Week at Mesa ends on Friday Oct 23rd with a Sustainability Summit (tickets, which are free, can be found at tinyurl.com/SEEDSsummit ) from 9am to 2:30pm in the G101 & MS Building. Presentations at the Summit will feature representatives from the USDA’s Natural Resource Conservation Service, the San Diego Hunger Coalition, Pure Water San Diego, and researchers from Mesa, SDSU, and UCSD, there will also be tours of the MS building and the MS building grounds on Friday.

The day starts with research presentations from 9am to 10am with breakfast, which is free; attendees are encouraged to bring reusable coffee cups and water bottles. Next, at 10am until 1:30pm, there will be workshops on climate change, food security, and water resources (SEEDS, 2015). Within that time, from 12:30pm until 1:30pm, there will be lunch, which is also free. From 1:30pm to 2:30pm, there will be a call to action on climate change and the other issues discussed throughout the day.

You can find more information and the schedule for Sustainability Week at sdmesa.edu/seeds and reserve tickets for the Friday Summit and find more information at
tinyurl.com/SEEDSsummit.