Top Memes

Top+Memes

These are the top three memes that have the most value in the meme economy today.

Prequel Memes

Prequel memes are of very high-value although not everybody gets them. They consist of screencaps and poking fun at the Star Wars prequels. The most notable of the memes are the “I am the senate”/ Senator Palpatine memes and “The tragedy of Darth Plagueis” copypasta, which is any block of text that gets copied and pasted over and over again. Many of these memes also rely on the fact that Anakin is a big, angsty teenager in episodes two and three. Memes range from “I hate sand” to not being granted the title of Jedi Master, even though he is on the Jedi Council. And now an excerpt of the tragedy of Darth Plagueis, “Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis The Wise? I thought not. It’s not a story the Jedi would tell you. It’s a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life…”

Me_IRL Memes

Me_IRL, or me_in real life, is another meme with acquired taste. Knowyourmeme.com says “Me IRL is a phrase used to indicate that a user believes that a linked image or video indicates their present mental or physical state. The phrase is also often used ironically by using a strange or cringeworthy image.” These memes can range from poking fun at oneself to extremely self-deprecating jokes. They can range from a random picture of a kid at the dentist giving the camera a thumbs up with the caption “Me getting euthanized,” to a picture of a CD drive with a sunny side up egg in it with the caption “*hacker voice* ‘I’m in.’”

Dat Boi Memes

Dat boi is merely a picture or gif of a frog riding a unicycle with the caption “Here come dat boi! O shit waddup!” According to knowyourmeme.com, the origins of this meme stem from a photoshopped image of a young boy named “dat boi” as the “most wanted criminal.” It later grew as someone posted a picture of pac-man with the caption we love, “O shit waddup!” A copypasta speaks about the true beauty of “dat boi.” “You want to know why I love dat boi? Dat boi is a completely self-made meme….Dat boi is completely absurd. It’s a low-res frog on a unicycle, and an arbitrary method for greeting him.”