A guide to time management as a college student

Jonathan Smith, Staff Writer

If there’s one thing students and young adults agree on, it’s about being able to manage their time between being a full-time student, having a successful social life and being a productive member of the working class. In 2015, Georgetown University’s Center on Education and the Workforce cited that in recent years, more than 70 percent of college students have worked while being a full-time student. That isn’t a steep number when comparing it to later years. But is this bad news for the generations to come with college enrollment and tuition increasing drastically?  

With everyone’s lifestyles and work loads being different, one thing that shouldn’t have to be comprised is your enjoyment of life. Many students on campus have all said the same thing, “I refuse to give up having a social life or being in a relationship because of my workload and class schedule.” Completing your college education in a timely manner is everyone’s ideal goal when you ask what their two to four year plan is, but that isn’t everyone’s top priority. Living your best life should be the main focus. Everyone faces some sort of adversity from time to time. But that shouldn’t be the deciding factor on your work ethic and being able to push through. This isn’t an article trying to convince anyone to re-evaluate their priorities, but more so some insight on how to not take things so serious.

The universe is going to always make sure that you have exactly what you need and that you are equipped with the necessary tools to navigate through life effectively. However, it’s completely up to you to tap into your instinctual guide to push through whatever obstacles you’re facing. Go on that date on a weeknight, but make sure you finish your homework. Go to that movie you’ve been wanting to see with your friends, even if it is $11, you deserve it. Do not neglect your basic needs and wants because you are too scared of someone else telling you that you should not do something. At the end of the day, it’s your life and you know what’s best. As life progresses, you will mature and be able to tap more into your intuition and function accordingly.

For some this method isn’t always available because well, it’s life, right? Luckily, there’s no rubric that perfectly maps out how life should go. Nonetheless, school, work and leisure all have their perks and can all be demanding. Find your balance, learn how to manage your time effectively and let life run its course. If you’re passionate about your studies, you’ll thrive and be more successful that you’ve ever imagined. Wake up everyday and tell yourself something positive about yourself beginning with the phrase “I am”.

Jonathan Smith, Staff Writer

Jonathan is an Alabama native who has found himself living in many cities across the U.S. After realizing his love for writing and being a stylist, Jonathan...

• A guide to time management as a college student