‘You Were Never Really Here”: the good, the bad, and the art house

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/never-really-alternative-poster/
The alternative poster hints at events in the film.

Bringing an element of something which is seldom seen present day, “You Were Never Really Here” fills a void. The void is something of “arthouse noir,” tapping into subtleties of Taxi driver, and Drive.

It features a relatively simplistic plot: Joe, a former soldier and FBI agent with severe PTSD, is now a mercenary who rescues trafficked girls. What starts as just another job pulls Joe into a conspiracy involving high ranking government officials.

At the helm of the film score is Jonny Greenwood member of alternative rock band Radiohead. The score is heavily influenced from what sounds like a combination of a horror-thriller film from the 1970s. While the score evokes high tension from the viewer, on a few occasions it does a complete 180. In those moments, Greenwood rewards the viewer with a moment of tranquility.

What sets “You Were Never Really Here” apart also serves as a detriment. The viewer is left to their own devices in piecing together present and past events. All of the film’s exposition is done via quick cuts. As is a bit more akin to real life much of Joes life is left to the viewers imagination.

“You Were Never Really Here” is like being led down a dark hallway, being able to just barely make out silhouettes. It is definitely not for the average movie-goer, or even most people. “You were never really here” is an experience possibly only for fans of art house films and film aficionados.

“You were never really here” is out now in select theaters.