Demented haunted house takes fear to the extreme

“Trying to escape is the only thing you have to look forward to” Photo Credit: instagram.com/mckameymanor
“Trying to escape is the only thing you have to look forward to”
Photo Credit: instagram.com/mckameymanor

San Diego has many great attractions, from the world famous San Diego Zoo, to Sea world, to even Aquatica; formally known as Knotts Soak City. The city also has plenty of hidden gems. With the month of spooks and ghouls finally here, we would like to present to you McKamey Manor – one of the hidden attractions, which is considered to be one of the scariest haunted houses in the country.

In 2013, there was a waiting list to enter the manor of over 17,000 people. Most people wait years to get inside the manor. Although there is a waiting list for the manor, it is almost irrelevant. The owner Russ McKamey screens people, and chooses who will take part of what many call “a traumatizing experience”. You are required to pass a physical and mental exam to be able to take part of the tour.

The manor is open on the weekends year round, only two guests are allowed per group and the average show lasts 7 hours. You are not allowed to quit, no matter how much you beg. They will only stop the tour if you are mentally or physically unable to continue. You are also required to sign a waiver releasing them from liability.

McKamey Manor has posted some videos on their website, which includes sneak peeks of what to expect if you decide to take part of the experience, as well as interviews of the aftermath with some of the people who decided to partake in the horror. The show takes place in multiple different locations, which are all in San Diego, and the intensity increases from location to location.

One of the videos showcased the experience of two guys; a Marine with 15 years of military experience, and an adrenaline junkie. In the video interview, the Marine described his experience as “Living your own horror movie.” And even said that it was worse than boot-camp. In some of the clips shown online you can see people get tortured, from being dunked in freezing water, to being pushed against walls, and being forced to eat rotten eggs and worms.

This is far from being a typical haunted house, things get taken to a another level at McKamey manor, extreme even. It’s been said that things will get a bit aggressive if you refuse to follow orders or even run away. During the adrenaline junkie’s interview you can see him with a bloody lip, a very swollen nose, and bruised eye. At what point does it stop being a simple haunted attraction and start to become torture? Not only do they bound you, throw you into cages and even hang you from your limbs, they also humiliate you. In the featured clips, you can see people forced to act like a horse while the employees ride on their backs.

Both the adrenaline junkie and Marine were declared physically unable to continue with the tour. They suffered hypothermia. In the video, when asked to describe the worst part of their experience the adrenaline junkie said “What’s the worst? I thought I was going to die.”

In 2014 no one was able to finish the whole tour, so the owners decided to tone things down. Even then, no one has been able to finish the traumatic experience. In case you decide that you’re brave enough to take part of the haunt that is known as the McKamey Manor, the admission to the tour is free, the only requirement is that you donate dog food to Operation Greyhound Rescue.