Student Exhibition displays works of the Mesa College Studio Art faculty

The Fall 2016 Student Art Exhibition presented a range of original works in sculpture, painting, digital, photography, printmaking and installation at the Mesa College Art Gallery from Dec. 1 through Dec. 13.

All artworks were selected from each art class either by voting between students or by teacher’s choice.

Diversity of styles, concepts, deep ideas and bright colors delight viewers and art lovers. The exhibition includes extravagant and complex pieces with abstract ideas that characterize the contemporary art.

The self-portrait photomontage “43” by Nanzi Muro is dedicated to memory of the missing 43 Mexican students who were kidnapped and killed in Iguala, Mexico, on Sept. 26, 2014. In this piece of work the author expresses her anger and sadness against the Mexican government. “Each young person should have the opportunity to live in a country without the fear that someone will kill or kidnap them, just because they are demanding educational support from their government and a change for a better future,” Muro said.

A statue titled “Rising from the Ashes. Stronger than She Ever Was” by Mara Nasland, combines shape of human’s body and shape of a phoenix. This charming artwork, created out of resin and leaves, represents the idea of a phoenix that rises from the ashes after a fiery death. According to the author she did this piece to reflect her life with its challenges and failures that made her stronger and happier person.

As you walk into the gallery your attention instantly captures a large colorful freehand drawing work titled “The Last Brunch” by Lily Briggs. It features a group of people having a conversation with a center figure who expresses annoyance and sadness on her face. This piece was inspired by the shifted perspective on casual conversation the artist experienced after losing her brother.

A paper installation by Julie Taylor represents a zoo based on the architecture of an African hut. The miniature exhibition displays a diorama in the natural history museum of author’s collection of little monkeys in small interior rooms.

Multiple modern works present self-expression through the art creation. In their works, artists refer to the idea of self-exploration, life experiences, current social and global issues and many more.

The exhibit is open for all visitors who are interested in exploration and appreciation of Mesa student’s artworks.

Bijan Izadi
Student art Exhibit, Mesa College Art Gallery – Photo Credit Bijan Izadi