‘Bob Marley: One Love’ Movie Review

Paramount Pictures Via Instagram
The biographical musical drama that focuses on the life of reggae icon Bob Marley, emphasizing his dedication to fostering peace in Jamaica through the transformative power of music, love, and culture.

“Bob Marley: One Love” focuses on the life of the renowned reggae singer Bob Marley.  The 2024 biographical musical drama is directed by Reinaldo Marcus Green and written by Green, Terence Winter, Frank E. Flowers, and Zach Baylin. The film chronicles Marley’s career from his early days as a musician until a few years prior to his untimely death, offering insight into his remarkable journey and enduring legacy.

The cast of “Bob Marley: One Love” features Kingsley Ben-Adir in the role of Bob Marley, Lashana Lynch portraying Rita Marley, James Norton as Chris Blackwell, Tosin Cole as Tyrone Downie, and Aston Barrett Jr. as Aston Barrett. Notably, the film had the endorsement of Marley’s real-life widow, Rita Marley, and their two children, Ziggy and Cedella Marley, who served as producers. This familial involvement underscores the authenticity of the project and the love put into it by its creators.

The film swiftly immerses viewers into Bob Marley’s life of fame and his quest for peace amidst Jamaica’s power struggle. However, while audiences and critics were eager for insights into his childhood, “One Love” seems to fall short. The movie may have sacrificed personal depth regarding Marley’s upbringing because of its aim for authenticity. Rita Marley and her two children, aimed to shift the audience’s focus away from Marley’s past and towards the significant milestones and profound impact he had on Jamaica.

The film lavished praise on the Jamaican religion of Rastafari, a spiritual and political movement originating in Jamaica in the 1930s and embraced by numerous communities worldwide. Rooted in a blend of Protestant Christianity, mysticism, and pan-African political awareness, Rastafari emphasizes the pursuit of peace, a driving force behind Marley’s passionate advocacy within his music.

While the audience anticipated a deeper exploration of his individual pursuits, it’s crucial to acknowledge the fundamental messages embedded within “One Love.” The concept that unity can be forged through music, inspiration, love, and culture remains paramount. In comparison to his lifetime achievements, his childhood may seem insignificant. Fans’ curiosity about his past is natural, but it shouldn’t overshadow the key messages conveyed in the story.

In a TikTok video about “One Love,” Ziggy Marley said that “They been trying for many years to make a movie about my father. It’s a different way to spread a message of love and unity. This is a good way to reach more people, even the younger generations — to give them a quick glimpse into Bob’s life.”

Fans of the film praised it as a remarkable tribute to Bob Marley, highlighting its ability to inspire audiences with the musician’s powerful message. The uplifting and soul-stirring culture depicted in the movie left a lasting impact on many viewers.

The moviegoers were mesmerized with ceremonies featuring rhythmic drum circles, enthralling vocals, and stunning visuals. These scenes portray “Nyabinghi,” all-night drumming ceremonies that are integral religious rituals among Rastafarians. Through these depictions the movie communicates the profound sense of acceptance and love that Marley experienced after being embraced by the Rastafarian community, especially considering his feelings of being an outsider due to his father’s European heritage.

“Bob Marley: One Love” serves as a spellbinding showcase of both the music and the cultural essence of Bob Marley’s life. While it doesn’t delve deeply into his upbringing and the factors that shaped him into the inspirational singer he became, it effectively portrays how he used his music to foster peace in Jamaica and make a lasting impact on the reggae genre.