Student Service Fair 2009

The student services provided at Mesa College are here to aid students in every aspect of college life and beyond. A Student Service Fair took place on the main quad Wednesday, February 26th from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m.

The booths ran along two of the walkways in front of the cafeteria and consisted of about twenty different informative and resourceful student service booths.

Students also had the chance to earn a free lunch if they filled out a feedback survey and visited at least seven different booths, earning a stamp at each one. Lunch included four choices of Quiznos subs, water or soda and a cookie.

“It was really well advertised,” said Mesa student Kris Herrera. “And it’s free lunch!” The event coordinators understand the power of food, especially considering student life.

The Associate Degree Rocks booth included a spinning wheel used for a trivia game. Some questions included ‘What are GE requirements?’ and ‘Does course work from other colleges and universities count towards a degree at Mesa?’ Students tried as best they could to answer the questions accurately to earn Pop-Rocks or a Rockstar energy drink. Students were rewarded with a lollipop no matter his or her answer.

The Transfer and Career Center conducts the Associate Degree Rocks campaign designed to help students move on from Mesa College.

“We want you out,” joked Monica Romero, Supervisor of the Transfer and Career Center.

“The purpose [of the Associate Degree Rocks program] is to really help the students understand the value of getting a degree or certificate and what it means to them,” continued Monica.

The Transfer and Career center work together to help students determine a major by using career assessments with hopes of finding a four year institute. The Associate Degree Rocks program uses fun games and high energy to inform and assist students with transfers. Future Associate Degree Rocks events take place on Wednesday, March 11th and 25th.

Other booths included Student Health Services, student support services EOPS, CARE/STAR and Financial Aid. Booth hosts were open to all questions and clear with all the answers. Pamphlets, paperwork, pens and other school accessories were some freebies provided by the booths.

The turn out was good. Students were able to enjoy free lunch on the provided tables outside, just in range of the DJ booth. The opportunity of free lunch paired with vital information proved to be a useful tactic in the efforts to inform students.

If you missed the fair, make sure to attend an Associate Degree Rocks event in the near future to help determine future goals and get a jump start on transferring.