Here at last

With a total of 22,000 students, everyone feels the parking shortage. At last, the new parking structure has been opened with the help of a large pair of scissors and serious dedication.

Richard Grosch, President, Board of Trustees, seems to understand perfectly what students must overcome to arrive to class on time.

“We have a bit of a credibility problem. I don’t know if you are aware,” Grosch held up an enlarged spring term parking permit during the opening ceremony, “You see this sticker? Now, to most it’s a parking permit, but the students know, no, it’s a hunting license. Hunting for that parking place, and when you finally get there of course, this permits you to run to your class to be on time.Those days are gone!”

The $31 million parking structure was made possible by the passing of Proposition S in 2002, a $685 million construction bond. This project was the first to be completed under the proposition.

Much of the opening ceremony speakers paid many thanks to the large number of people involved in the completion of the project. Councilwoman Donna Frye received gratitude from most speakers during the grand opening ceremony for putting forth many efforts to make the dream of the parking structure a reality. The community and the district had to work together to make Mesa College parking system work for both.

“This is the greatest thing that has happened for the faculty to have the students be able to find parking spots. Now, I was trying to think if there were any downsides, the only downside is this; the students will no longer be able to use that excuse “I couldn’t find a parking space,” President of the Academic Senate, Terrie Teegarden searches for any downside to the available 1,100 parking spots.

Mesa is moving forward toward a more fluid parking pattern, but without careful calculations, some progress may be lost. If the temporary football field parking is taken back, students must readjust to fewer parking spaces again.

President of Mesa College Rita Cepeda made clear the purpose of the new structure. “The parking structure stands for our dedication to insuring access to education. It is more than just a structure; it is a way into Mesa College from which our students can go anywhere.”

The parking structure completion was a major goal for Mesa, as parking has been a problem for two decades.

Along with the parking structure, a 700 square-foot police office is next in line for completion. The police station is scheduled to open during this summer.

The parking structure was designed with many environmentally friendly materials and construction strategies to obtain a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design program certificate.

Two public bus stops for the San Diego Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) will be located on Mesa College campus. Service will begin this fall once the East Campus improvement projects are complete.

Construction still took place during the opening ceremony and the scent of welded metal meshed with the free cupcakes and coffee provided after the opening ceremony. Despite the lasting construction, the new parking structure is a major perk for both faculty and students.