Ooh La Lexi!

Ooh La Lexi!

While many 20-something college women spend their days contemplating split ends and social scenes, 22-year-old Lexi Lomax is up early opening the doors of her independently owned salon and spa “Ooh La La.”

“I grew up knowing that I would be my own boss,” Lomax said.

At 19, the petite brunette powerhouse visualized and spent a year of planning to open a salon/boutique. Her dream came to fruition at 20, and she is now in her second year as an independent business owner, and boasts that she has yet to see a red month.

It’s not uncommon for students to tap into their parent’s bank accounts, but Lomax opted to tap into her parent’s guidance and knowledge of the industry.

Lomax attributes much of her success to her parents, both owners of booming businesses, but also takes pride in the initiative and hard work she invested into building a business, literally from the ground up.

Lomax had a hand in every aspect of the salon’s creation, including the structure and interior design of the building. The salon is fashioned in a simple black and white motif with a 20s spin.

She is currently enrolled in 12 units of fashion design courses at Mesa and works full time managing the salon. With so much on her plate, Lomax has learned to prioritize her life and find a balance between work, school and a social life.

“I do everything I want to do but I know my limits and responsibilities,” said Lomax. “It’s my plan to work my butt off now and not have to work when I’m 50.”

She plans on eventually venturing into other areas of business, but is most passionate about fashion. Lomax also plans on using her BA in history to become a teacher.

“Ooh La La” provides a number of services including hair styling, nails and waxing. The boutique inside sells clothing that Lomax tries to keep affordable, usually $50 and under.

The salon is located at 1174 Broadway in El Cajon.