Q&A: Serena Cuevas

Local hot shot Serena Cuevas goes head-to-head with tennis champ Serena Williams in a national Gatorade commercial just a few short years after doctors told her she might never dance again.

Cuevas is a 24-year-old Mesa Business Marketing Major who already owns her own Dance Company. She has been competing in salsa for half of her life. Her commercial already has over 8,000 hits on YouTube, and now she explains why her story caught the attention of Gatorade’s head honchos.

Can you tell us about your car accident?

Well, I was driving on the 5 and spun across the freeway. I hit a car going across each lane, then the rear end of my car ended up in the guardrail, that’s when I realized I pulled a muscle in my neck and head and there was glass everywhere.

How did you get involved in dance?

My mom took private ballroom lessons. She would come home and practice and I would watch and end up practicing with her. But I have taken dance seriously for the past 13 years now.

How many auditions do you go to a year?

I am committed to running my company right now. I have three teams and also teach private lessons. But someone from Gatorade actually contacted me. I thought ‘whatever,’ Gatorade isn’t going to actually call me. But they liked my story, which about overcoming adversity in sports.

How many people recognize you from the commercial?

Oh gosh, I get a million texts a day and random calls. My number is on my Web site so people can easily contact me. I get people asking me, “are you the Gatorade girl?” when I’m out. Maybe 30 people so far just this month.

Any cool perks of being on TV?

Yeah, I have been given a lot of opportunities, like movies. I don’t think I am allowed to talk about it right now. But we’ll set up another interview after I sign the contract. So keep reading the Mesa Press everyone, stay tuned.

Do you have a salsa- dancing boyfriend?

Yes I do have a boyfriend. He doesn’t dance a lot but he has trained for a couple years. He’s a great guy and that’s way more important than being a great dancer.

Favorite club in SD?

The best salsa club is Prospects Bar and Lounge. I also teach there on Monday nights starting in June. Café Sevilla is like a crowded meat market. When I’m going out to dance, I want to do just that.

What are some luxuries you indulge in?

I get my haircut every week since it’s so short. I also get pedicures because I always have to look at my feet. My feet get worked and that’s the best for hygiene, most dancers do it. And recently I started getting massages!

What is the biggest dancing no-no you see?

When they squeeze their partner’s fingers, I call it the death grip.

What’s the biggest award you have received?

At the 2007 ESPN World Championships I competed in the team division, which is one of the most competitive divisions, and we got 12th in the world. I am hopefully going back in 2010 to compete in the couples division.

Any big events coming up?

Yes! There is a workshop on Saturday June 6 at Cheek 2 Cheek dance studio at 4360 Morena Blvd. It is a fund raiser for my niece, Gia, who has to get a surgery done. When she was born 90 percent of her airways were blocked.

Her parents live in Puerto Rico and she has to get the surgery in Philadelphia. With everything else they have to go through, I don’t want them to go into debt also. We are asking for a $40 donation. I got all the salsa directors in San Diego to come and donate their teaching time. It’s from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. and is for anybody of all levels. And from 5 to 6p.m. there will be shows, so everyone can see me dance. And the event is partially sponsored by Gatorade so there will be plenty of G2 for everyone.