Mesa Football Field Receives a Makeover

Shauna Lasky

Change has been noticeable around the Mesa campus during the last year, one of which would be the newly remodeled Olympian football field.

Understandably students are curious as to why the former parking lot has been transformed into a field. In November of 2006 San Diegans passed Proposition “N” which budgeted $870 million to renovate San Diego Community Colleges. Most construction was started in early 2008 as part of Proposition “S” which was passed in San Diego in November of 2002 with a budget of $685 million to update facilities around San Diego Community College campuses. Students should expect renovations to continue until 2015 which will conclude with new art facilities.

The propositions passed to not only beautify the campus, but to repair and improve student learning and athletic facilities. The construction of the new field and an all weather track was part of Proposition “N”. According to the plans the renovation began in January of this year and will be done in time for the 2009 football season.

The Olympian football team will be returning to Mesa for the 2009 season and the team couldn’t be more excited. The last time a home game was played at the Mesa College football field was in the 2007 season. After the 2007-2008 season the former grass field was transformed into a temporary parking lot. The Olympians have had to play their home games at the Cathedral High School football field. The players are thrilled to be using the new turf field as opposed to the former grass field.

“It’s a beautiful field, we are proud and pumped for this football season.” said first year Olympian football player Drew Callejon.

Attendance at home games is also expected to rise. ” I am sure more people are bound to attend, it’s a wonderful new field and our team is looking forward to a great season.” said Callejon.

The student body seems equally as enthusiastic about a new home field. With the team back at Mesa, the student body and other members of the community will be able to watch the Olympians compete against tough competition this season.

“I will definitely come out to support our team on the new field and I am sure many other students are bound to attend more games now that we are back at home.” said Mesa student Dylan Griffith.

So far no events have been planned for the return to the field. Mesa Students and local football fans can find the Olympians at their first home game Saturday September 26 at 6:00 p.m. versus Mt. San Jacinto.

Mesa College Football schedule available online at:
www.sdmesa.edu/athletics/football/schedule.cfm