Powerful Latinas set example for Mesa students

Powerful Latinas founder Aurelia Flores gave two presentations of “Powerful Latinas Leadership Lessons” on Tuesday, March 16 at Mesa as part of Women’s History Month.

Flores was introduced by political science professor Dr. Michelle Rodriguez, who is also involved with the Women’s Studies Advisory Committee.

The presentations emphasized culture as an asset, not a drawback to one’s personality, and the importance of motivation and passion, particularly for Latinos and women, no matter what the circumstances of one’s life. Flores provided numerous statistics highlighting the strengths and potential of Hispanic women in comparison to other ethnic groups.

“I believe we all create culture and what the future of our culture is going to be like,” said Flores. “I think it’s important to engage people in that conversation.”

According to the presentation, more than half of children born in California are Latino, and that in 2001, one out of every three people in California were Latino. Latinos had the highest and most vigorous work participation, as well as the lowest public welfare participation. Latinos had the fewest heart attacks, the healthiest babies and longer life expectancy than other groups. Latinos also had the largest group of females under five in 2001.

Flores pointed out that when these girls reach age 18, they will represent a prominent group in the voting population, and that in 2019, half of 18-year-olds in the U.S. will be Latino.

“It’s integral for society to know the importance of Latinas,” said Miguel Murillo, an ethnic studies major at Mesa.

Flores started Powerful Latinas in 2007 and has interviewed over 70 successful Latinas, including CEOs, authors, media celebrities, entrepreneurs, attorneys, artists, and political officials, just to name a few. Their profiles are featured on her website, PowerfulLatinas.com. The company is also getting ready to launch a TV show.

Students were motivated by the presentation and enthusiastically participated as Flores asked them to form groups and exchange stories, future plans, and discuss the examples set by the women she profiled.

“The statistics [Flores] showed and the achievements these women have made give me inspiration,” said Lucia Napolez, an international security and conflict resolution major. “I see these women and I think, ‘If she can do it, I can do it.'”

Michelle Gonzalez, a 24-year-old computer science major, and her sister, Connie Maria Gonzalez, a 22-year-old sociology major, both attended the Powerful Latinas presentation.

“What I really got from this is that learning is an attitude,” said Michelle. “Also, the knowledge that no matter where you come from and what difficulties you have, excuses don’t matter and it’s up to you to achieve your goals.”

Michelle’s sister Connie was equally inspired by the presentation, but for different reasons.

“One of the most important things she mentioned is to follow your passion,” said Connie. “That’s what I’m going to take away from this. I think it’s easy for people to get caught up in goals involving money and material things, but if you’re not doing what you love, then you’re not happy. I’ll also remember to help and give back to my community as much as they helped me.”

At the end of the presentation, Flores listed 12 leadership lessons she compiled from the diverse women she interviewed, including “Know Yourself Well,” “Find Things That Motivate and Inspire You,” “Be Grateful, Focus on the Positive,” and “We Build Our Future.”

“A couple decades ago, there was only one way to be an American, to blend in and assimilate,” Flores said. “Now is a moment when we get to do things differently and grow as Americans, but keep our culture in the forefront. And what better opportunity to empower women?”