‘Scape goats wrangled by campus police

Scape goats wrangled by campus police

A small group of goats escaped from Mesa’s Animal Health Facility on April 6 after they found an opening in the chain link fence surrounding their enclosure.

A passerby spotted the goats near the corner of Marlesta Drive and Genessee Avenue around 5 p.m. on her way home from work and informed police of the breakout.

Officer Nancy Schumaker, Officer Matthew Torres and CSO James Bennett arrived on the scene to wrangle the goats and maintain traffic safety. The escape artists were quickly captured and returned to the corral from whence they came.

According to Mesa College Police, this isn’t the first time animals have escaped from the campus Animal Health Facility.

“They’ve had the same thing happen with llamas in that area,” said Lieutenant Jack Doherty.

Animal Health Technology Program Director Peggy Fischer was unavailable for comment.

The chain link fence surrounding the Animal Health Facility’s goat enclosure meets the ground on a sloping side of the property. The goats were able to find a weak point in the fence and wiggle their way out, beginning their short-lived journey.