Board meeting presents “We are Mesa”

Board meeting presents We are Mesa

San Diego Community College District Board of Trustees discussed the district’s budget, and various programs at Mesa College detailed how they represent the campus Oct. 28 at Mesa.

The meeting ran for about two hours, with the first half centered on Mesa’s programs and how they portray the concept of “We are Mesa,” a campaign created by Mesa’s Communication Services department to bring awareness to the new vision, mission and values statement adopted in 2009.

Laurie Mackenzie, professor and co-chair for the department of psychology and behavioral science at Mesa, discussed the new behavioral science program “Heroes to Healthcare” offered at Mesa and its impact on the students.

“Last semester we had 26 people involved with the program. This semester we have 49,” Mackenzie said. “Out of those 49 people, 29 of them are dislocated workers. We also have veterans and want to help them to get back into society.”

Andrew Bloom, a veteran and student in behavioral science, also spoke on behalf of the program. He began studying psychology at Mesa, earning a certificate with a 4.0 GPA, and has been awarded the Jonnah Laroche Transfer Scholarship to continue his studies at Springfield College in Springfield, Ill. His goal is to start a help center for the homeless including veterans and displaced workers.

Professor Lori Covington, program director of radiologic technology, spoke about the expansion of the regional healthcare training program, which started in 1968.

“Our program offers students the chance to learn computer tomography, MRI, angioplasty and angiograms,” Covington said. “We now have students working at all 10 regional hospitals in San Diego.”

Mesa’s speech and debate team, led by professors Kim Gerhardt and Linda Farnan, also presented their program, discussing their success in both the national and international championships this year.

“We care about being a part of Mesa,” Gerhardt said. “We traveled to Berlin this spring for the international championships, bringing home first place and competed in the national Phi Rho Pi championships in New Orleans, where we earned first place with Amanda Wells taking the gold award.”

The team also discussed their experiences in visiting concentration camps and the Berlin Wall while in Germany.

“The trip transformed students’ lives,” Gerhardt said. “We are Mesa, and we will continue to make you proud.”

Robin Watkins, classified senate president, followed the program presentations, speaking about the “We are Mesa” campaign.

The second half of the meeting was dedicated to approving items that were heard before the board.

Item 420, which was pulled out by Trustee Maria Nieto Senour, detailed the appropriations of a Title V grant that San Diego City College was awarded by the federal government.