Black History celebrated at Mesa with events through out February

Both Mesa College and San Diego are hosting a slew of festivities for Black History Month.

At Mesa College Feb. 22 the Black Student Union will be hosting an event called “Mind of a Mathman” in which Lamar Queen puts mathematical equations and simple algebraic expressions into a rap. There will be two shows, one at 11:00 a.m. held at H-117/H-118 and another show at 2:00 p.m., held in the same rooms.

Derrick Isaac, treasurer of the Black Student Union summed up the celebrations with the clubs motto, “Our motto is unity with a purpose. We shouldn’t just celebrate the good in one month, it should be celebrated in every culture all year round.”

Feb. 24 the group “Young, Black and Business Minded” will speak from 10 – 12:30 p.m. in room H-117.

Feb. 25 there will be a film festival featuring Spike Lee from 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. held in room G-110.

Student response to Black History Month has been mixed. Julian Coleback commented, “I don’t pay too much attention to it. We’re all the same people, why should we have a month separating a race. We should have a month celebrating everyone.”

Chadd Johnson said, “I think it’s important. It gives people who aren’t African American a chance to learn about another culture.”

Kiley Zaurbi stated, “I think it’s good we have Black History Month. I like the info put out by it, but I haven’t heard much about it this month.”

From Feb. 25 to Feb. 27, there will be a Black History Month festival in the Kuumba, located in Horton plaza in downtown San Diego. To finish off the month of celebration, there will be a dinner held at Annie Belle’s ‘Famous’ Wings and Greens located at 1746 Euclid Avenue, at a time that will be announced.

Worldbeat Cultural center located in Balboa Park will be sponsoring upcoming events. On Feb. 21 from 2 p.m. – 11 p.m., located at 3500 Sports Arena Blvd, in the Valley View Casino Center, the 30th annual tribute to the Reggae legends-Bob Marley day 2011, will be selling tickets for its upcoming concert featuring artists such as Bunny Wailer, Don Carlos, Horace Andy and many more.

Feb. 25, there will be a Lion King theatrical presentation from 7 p.m. – 10 p.m., free of charge, at the Worldbeat Cultural center. Monica Harris from the Diva Works Dance Company, a 20-year dance veteran, will be performing at this Afro-Modern dance of this Disney classic.

From Feb. 26 at 12 p.m. to Feb. 27 at 9 p.m., there will be a 2-day, free-of-charge celebration of the African Mental Liberation film festival, located at the Wordbeat Cultural Center. The festival will start off with the film “Sankofa,” a classic revelation of redemption and slavery and will end with a Brazilian classic film, “Quilombo,” regarding the African rebellion and establishment of a settlement in Brazil.