Career Center to have workshops for students

The Career Center, located at MV-20 of the Modular Village, is once again hosting The Spring Workshop. The Spring Workshop is available to all students with any job or major related needs such as finding a job and choosing the right career or major. Students can either schedule appointments or walk in for a one-on-one with a counselor.

The Career Center has much to offer students. Monica Romero, the Career Guidance and Transfer Center Supervisor, encourages all students in need of career or major guidance to visit the Career Center.

“We’re here to empower students,” said Romero.

The Career Center serves as a medium between the students and local businesses of the community. Through tools such as Job Connect, a site specifically designed to cater to the students of our community, counselors are able provide jobs, as well as internships, to students – all while enriching our community.

“Use us as a network,” said Romero.

According to the Career Center page on the San Diego Mesa web site, the Spring Workshop was created to help students with career and employment needs. They offer plenty of workshops, with each catering to different aspects and necessities of the job-oriented world. These workshops include: finding the right career, creating and editing a resumé and the importance and manner of obtaining an internship.

Romero encourages all students to discover themselves, as advice for students with undecided majors. To help students who are uncertain about what career they want to pursue, a workshop will be held on Feb. 22 from 2:30 – 3:30 p.m. in MV-32. The workshop encourage students explore their interests and help them to determine what future lines of work they are likely to find most pleasurable.

A workshop on resumés will be held March 9 from 11 – 12 p.m. in MV-32. A good resumé is an important factor in landing a job because for many employers, it acts as a first impression of their applicants. Creating a resumé, which efficiently summarizes an applicant’s employment history, characteristics and skills, can be a daunting task at first. Students who have never written a resumés before should consider the workshop.

An internship workshop will be held March 1 from 2:30 – 3:30 p.m. in MV-32.

“Internship is so important nowadays,” says Romero.

Internships provide invaluable practical experience and development for students in their career of choice. This can lead to an eventual position within a company.

Despite its usefulness, the Career Center often goes unused by many students. Jessica Koach, a first time San Diego Mesa student, is currently undecided about her major and career path.

When asked about the Career Center, Koach said, “I’ve never been to it.” However, after being informed on the workshops as well as the functions of the Career Center, Koach said, “I’ll go there.”

For more information, visit the Career Center at MV-20 in the Modular Village or visit their web page located under Student Services at the San Diego Mesa web site. Students can also visit the Job Connect site at http://jobconnect.sdccd.edu for information on local jobs and internships.