FAST summer program hopes for smooth transition for foster youth

Fostering Academic Success and Transitions or FAST is a summer program offered at Mesa College dedicated into helping foster students transition smoothly into public schools.

This is the second year this program has been offered, and the EOPS acting Director/Counselor Pedro Olvera, believes that the program is important in ensuring foster students success.

Olvera states, “It’s hard to transition from foster homes to public school. They come from an environment where they were told what to do. This program teaches them what they need to know to be more independent. First step is knowing what’s available to them,”

FAST is a statewide program and one of the most successful programs offered in the states.  It introduces foster students into financial aid, the application process into Community Colleges, possible Chafee Grants they might qualify for, and institute materials such as books and supplies.  They’re also offered meal tickets to get use to choosing what they want to eat and live more independently.

FAST wants to ensure that the foster students transition into public schools mentally prepared for the changes the students are about to embark on, so the program offers counseling sessions three times a semester.

Olvera ensures, “Counseling is the backbone of helping the foster students succeed. It’s the glue that holds them together. Once the students become acquainted and comfortable with the counselors they can transition into public schools more easily.”

The requirements to be eligible for this program are simple.  The student must be a California resident and enrolled in at least 12 units. In addition, the students must also be eligible for Mesa’s EOPS services. When asked around Campus about what the students thought of this program.

Alicia Warman stated, “I didn’t know foster students had such a hard time getting use to college life.  It sounds like a great opportunity for them.” Joshua Kaddu said,

“It’s great that Mesa is stepping up to help foster youth. I had no idea this program existed.”  The programs goal is to help foster youth with informative knowledge that will aid them in succeeding in school, and help the students eventually transfer to a 4 year institution or graduate from a 2 year.

Olvera summed up the program the best, “Whether or not they transfer to a University or graduate from a Community College our purpose is to make sure the foster students leave the summer program leaving better informed of the educational possibilities for them, and a motivation to get out there and start setting goals.”

The Fast program is a weeklong program that starts on July 25 and ends July 29.