Earn the interview with resume workshop

Sarah Moore, the instructor of the “How to” workshop on resumes is qualified and certified in years of experience.  She is also the Career Counselor of the San Diego Mesa College Career Center. She knows everything there is to know on resumes. Two hours past noon on Sept. 28 Moore went into depth about all the important details a resume should include and exclude. She came 100 percent prepared with a highly detailed Power Point along with knowledge and topped off with a well-experienced history with resumes. This gathering was for students and faculty alike.

There is always room for improvement especially when it comes to your resume and this dreadful economy. Fact of the matter is the resume is merely a ticket to the physical interview. “A resume isn’t an application, it’s an addition to an application,” said Moore, the host of this workshop.

The workshop was intended to help student without jobs and/or resume building experience. “I went for my hands on personal experience because I don’t have a high enough experience with resumes…its beneficial to me because it helps me pursue my major for beauty,” said sophomore Jennifer Monteceinos.

Some students attended this meeting for the fact that they’ve never had the “real” experience that they would like to have on their resumes. All the attendants of the meeting were asked to bring their own resumes so that free hand editing could be applied.

Moore treated the students with hands on training and provided tips that many students maybe be unaware of. She explained how different types of resumes are essential to know about due to the fact that every job looks for a certain format, a certain type of resume that possesses the desired qualifications. The more “tuned” the resume is to fit that certain job, the more likely the chances that the applicant acquires the interview.

It is a misleading concept: the resume will be enough to land that job, obtain that title or embark in another career. Moore also went into details about which words used on the resume would appeal more to the employer. If your education and activities have absolutely nothing to do with the job your applying for how can you expect an interview?

In todays economy where gas prices are high and almost everything is expensive having knowledge on what the employers are looking for is crucial. You can never be too safe when deciding what words or phrases might catch the employers’ eye or the computers “key words” scanner. Yes, in this day and age everything is becoming electronic, even the way employers decide who and not to hire is partially electronic.

Moore revealed that there is actually a “resume scanner” that scans all the words on the resume and triggers a signal when the select amount of “key words” were included in the resume. This reduces the amount of resumes the employers are actually required to view physically. It is shocking how everything is becoming electrically efficient. Moore reveals which words are more appropriate for certain jobs.

In order to enhance your resume and further your knowledge, Moore recommends that students visit the Career Center. This resume workshop was one of the few examples hosted by the staff in the Career Center created to benefit students. “I went to the workshop because I decided it’d be a good opportunity to learn how to impress future employers,” said sophomore Joseph Salgado.