Successful projects mean successful students

Mesa College President Dr. Pamela Luster, alongside several other Mesa professors, discussed the benefits and improvements from completed and current ongoing construction projects at the San Diego Community College District Board of Trustees meeting held at the Mesa Design Center on Oct. 27.

“I am amazed at the level of activity on campus; from our new buildings to student life, cultural and instructional events and more. The new buildings from Proposition S and N have given Mesa the opportunity to provide state of the art facilities,” said Luster. “This benefits students in a number of ways, they have these fine facilities to learn in, and the college can attract the very best faculty to teach here.”

The Allied Health Education and Training Facility as well as the Design Center are two examples of how Mesa can benefit from projects. These modernized structures provide high quality learning facilities for students to be able to get first-hand experience in their majors using up-to-date technology.

Dr. Tina Recalde is the Program Director of the Physical Therapist Assistant Program. This two-year program allows students to receive hands-on experience similar to the practices of the real world.
“I think it’s really good in basically giving the job training, because when people graduate from this program they’re ready to sit for their licensure exam and go directly into the workforce,” said Recalde. “It gives them a direct application of getting a license and getting a job immediately after the two years of the program.”

The Allied Health Education and Training Facility is one of the most recently constructed projects, furnished with some of the most advanced technology and equipment to simulate real life occurrences.

“The fact that we have such a nice lab allows us to actually imitate the real work environment, so they see exactly what equipment they’re going to be using, what type of environment they’re going to be in,” said Recalde.

The professors are incredibly grateful to be able to teach with such high quality technology that enhances the focus of students and makes teaching more vivid.

“We are able to do all of this due to the generosity of our community in passing these two propositions; combined with the expertise of our faculty, staff, and administrators, we have been able to fully realize our dreams of keeping Mesa College at the leading edge of higher education,” said Luster.

Mesa College student Kris Hardman is studying in the Physical Therapist Assistant program.

“What I like most about this class is that we are learning a field that is going to be very important, there is going to be a lot of baby boomers, aging, and a lot of need for physical therapy,” said Hardman. “I’m doing a career change so I wanted to do something that when I go home at the end of the day I’ve felt that I’ve made a difference.”

Myra Jones is also in the PTA program and is very content with the program. “What I like the most about this program is hands on training,” said Jones. “I would definitely encourage students to take this class because you’re working with the public and the community and the elderly, and if that’s your passion, take this class.”

For the year 2012, there will be new buildings to look forward to, including the opening of the new Students Services Center, followed in the coming years by the Science and Math buildings, Social and Behavioral Sciences, Fitness Center, Center for Business and Technology, and a new cafeteria and bookstore.  The quad area in front of the cafeteria is also scheduled to be redesigned.