Letters to the Editor

Once the clock hit noon, students’ rush over to the cafeteria to grab a quick lunch before class, however “a quick lunch” will not happen due to the limitless line that is currently occurring in the cafeteria and the mini-convenient store. As a result of the separation of the mini-convenient store and the cafeteria, students tend to skip lunchtime to avoid tardiness in class. I have experienced being tardy for class because I waited almost 20 minutes in line to purchase my lunch. I also tried not eating lunch until the end of my afternoon class, which resulted me not to focus as well. Now that the unnecessary construction has ended, I find that it did not solve any issues at all. I suggest that the cafeteria should find ways to now solve the ‘limitless line’, whether it takes to hire more cashiers or put the place back to normal. As a student, I value my time – I manage it very well – however this issue just cuts it off. As the article stated, “If it’s not broken, don’t fix it”, which I am in total agreement considering that “the cons dominate the pros” in this situation.

Freddierick Mesias, 19, Architecture

Whenever I hear about the lack of funding for education, especially for the state of California, I am deeply disheartened. I am a native to Miami and moved to California because of the terrific transfer guarantee program. This program gives every student who attends a community college a chance to get the high-quality education of the California state schools, which are typically very challenging to gain admission to otherwise. For this reason especially, I believe that these community colleges deserve much greater funds than they are getting. What makes this even worse is that they expect deeper cuts in the upcoming year, which translates into even fewer classes available, and fewer teachers.

In my opinion, education everywhere should receive much higher funds than they currently do. We students are the future doctors, lawyers, teachers, and even senators of this country, yet without a quality education, we may be none of these. Where do we draw the line and stop putting education on the backburner?

Taylor Thomas, 19, Film and Journalism

I read your article “Mesa student faces adversity head-on” about Hermes Castro. I also went to his speech at Mesa. I found the article to be a very good representation of his speech. The article had everything that was presented in the speech and so much more. I found the article to be just as inspiring as the speech was and I felt like I was sitting in the room listening to speech again. I enjoyed how there were good quotes from Castro and so many details that were not even given in his speech. This speech had a very important message about protecting Antarctica and it is something that many people should hear. The article had good information on how you can learn more about this problem. By writing this article it helps get the word out to the people who could not be there. Altogether this was a very interesting and inspiring article that opens up about a very important issue that is affecting everyone. I enjoyed reading this and I hope to find more articles like this in the paper more often.

Amanda Scharf, 22, Political Science