Student stereotypes still prevalent

There’s no denying that Mesa campus is quite diverse when it comes to the many student personalities roaming around campus, or sitting near us in class. Then again, community colleges never fail to have an array of out of the ordinary students who manage to stick out from the simply “come-to-school-then-go-home” ones. These students can either turn out to be the most fascinating characters you’ve met all semester or quickly be classified into one of the many “student stereotypes.”

The Sleep Deprived Zombie
Many can identify with this guy – usually seen sleeping in his car, in the library, in the cafeteria, or in the back of the classroom. This poor guy stays up all night cramming for an exam, and with just his luck finds himself waking up from a mere two hours of sleep only to find he missed the exam entirely.

The Ass-Kisser
Other wise known as the “teacher’s pet.” In reality, the teacher may find this student annoying and sometimes creepy, however this student never fails to raise a hand and drag a lecture longer than it should be. This student is usually easy to spot- sitting in the front row, the only one laughing at the teacher’s jokes, reminding the professor to collect the homework, and probably pushing for the exam to be moved up to a sooner date.

The Stoner
This student you probably rarely recognize, but you see their infamous pot leaf cartoon character doodles all over your desks in class. They will usually creep in about ten minutes later than everyone else and grab a seat either on the side aisles or closest to the door. The few times this student participates in class discussions are when the topic of “legalizing marijuana” comes up.

The Party Animal
This student usually walks into class already talking about the “insane rager” they attended over the weekend. We could be talking about answers to the final exam, and this guy can’t stop yapping about his keg-stands. This student never fails to spend over an hour explaining in full detail his partying escapades in an elevated voice. Give this guy a microphone and he will keep talking until spring break.

Campus Parking with Attitude
This student comes in many different personalities. Most of the time you find them in their car vigorously hunting for parking: cutting people off, stalking students by the stairs, and stealing your parking spot. Upon turning into Mesa College, this student already has their game-face on, ready to take on the routine parking craze.

The Smokers
Nicotine fits have never been so elevated. This student looks like they’re having withdrawals the last 10 minutes of class. Halfway through class, this student is already pondering how much time it will take them to smoke a cig, grab some coffee, and make it to their next class on time.

The Observers
Finally, someone has to sit back and enjoy the show. Those awkward moments during “The Office” when employees are staring into the camera with facial expressions that explain everything they just witnessed…yeah, that’s what we do.