Letters to the editor

I enjoyed reading the article, “Student Stereotypes” in the last Mesa Press paper (March 9). I would like to add one classification, which I see everyday, that really grinds my gears: The Moocher. We all know the familiar Moocher. The one who seems to have “just ran out” of Scantrons before every test, oh and they need a pencil to go along with it. Or the one who will copy all your answers for homework but pretend they’re contributing by asking “intelligent” questions about the assignment. And don’t forget those who seem to always have an excuse to miss their 8:00 class, but still want to copy our notes. So, hats off to you moochers, who will successfully fly through college with the help from your annoyed peers. After all, how can we say we don’t have an extra Scantron when you wait to ask us until we have our brand new pack out?

Leigh-Ann Williamson, 22
Journalism

I am writing in response to the article “Black History Month Gone Wrong” (March 9). I had heard about the “Compton Cookout” held by students at UCSD in the news and was appalled to see that students would ever think it would be okay to honor Black History Month in such a way like this one. Having this cookout was a weak attempt at trying to be humorous and it’s sad to see students put that humor before people’s feelings, especially since racism is such a huge part of our nation’s history.

I agree with the writer’s statement on how American college students have made a mockery in honoring Black History Month. It really shows how their attempts have lowered themselves as human beings and has left an undertone to the racism that still exists today.

Christian Carrillo, 19
Kinesiology

It is interesting how a majority of students on campus are always “connected,” not to the world around them, but to a digital world. Whether it’s their I-pod, cell phone, or the Internet, it distracts them from the physical world around them. I personally have to “watch out” for these people to avoid running into them. It is ironic how we use technology to communicate with people who are not in our physical boundaries but by doing this we neglect the people who are around us. I think this technology on the go actually isolates us and takes up most of our time. I mean why not have fun where you are instead of seeking an “escape.” I think this may also reflect why some people on campus may seem “unfriendly.” I mean would you want to approach someone who was on their phone or connected to an electronic device? I wouldn’t want to “distract” them with my talking.

Isha Singh, 19
English-Single Subject Teaching

It seems as if the food that Mesa offers is not healthy in the slightest way. The only healthy food on the campus that I have come across are the wraps. The wraps cost $6.50! As a country we are already struggling to stay out of the obesity meter. I think it would be smart of Mesa to offer a more healthy menu. Whenever I enter the Cafeteria I see people getting nachos or something that most definitely goes straight to their gut!

Thomas Phelan
Age/major not provided