Universal healthcare anticipates much needed reform for millions

An end to the current health care system has arrived, and a change to healthcare as we know it is on its way.

After months of fierce debate from people on all ends of the spectrum, the legislation was finally signed by President Obama on March 23 to guarantee medical insurance for millions of Americans.

Although shortly following, threats of lawsuits by heated Republicans who can’t seem to fathom the idea of universal healthcare were fired from all directions.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimate that in a 2008 National Health Interview Survey, 43.6 million people under the age of 65 are uninsured and approximately nine percent are children under the age of 18.

But this reform policy has big plans. One, in particular, is the ban on companies from denying care for people with pre-existing conditions; something that will revolutionize the American health care system. Anything from asthma and sports injuries, to more serious conditions such as cancer or heart disease are considered pre-existing conditions that make it extremely difficult to become insured. The reform will also require insurance companies to renew policies as long as policyholders pay their full premiums.

Republicans who voted against the bill in the House of Senate have since vowed to repeal and challenge the bill in court. Groups like the Tea Party state on their website that they need the people’s help to take back control of everyday healthcare in the United States; but they are just a louder, more organized voice among the millions of Americans who struggle everyday with their current health insurance or lack thereof.

Medicare and Medicaid rarely try to improve the care they provide, yet do everything they can to increase their profits. Whether universal healthcare was the right choice or not, something needed to change. The reform could provide a stable and secure healthcare system, while holding insurance companies more accountable for their actions.

Republicans, and others who are so fearful of government run health care, are simply using scare tactics to get ahead politically. The truth is that if you like your doctor you can stick with them and if you like your current insurance company, no one will force you to change it. What should really worry people are the tens of thousands who are being dropped by their health insurance on a daily basis and the continuation of soaring premiums.

The Obama administration will be remembered for passing the healthcare bill, an action so monumental it has never happened before. Republicans should take a step back and look at the big picture-taxes are raised every year so why not go rally, picket and protest those? Universal healthcare will change so many lives and help so many families who have struggled with care for too long.

This reform is not a threat to anyone’s liberty; it is policymakers finally stepping-in to stop the abuse of Americans by insurance companies and hopefully it will bring repair to the current healthcare system.