9/11 not receiving the respect it deserves

Disbelief was embedded in the minds of many American’s this past September 11 when they heard the shocking news of a newspaper, The Portland Press Herald in Portland, Maine, being forced to publish a controversial retraction on their front page.

The retraction was made in response to outcry from the publication’s readers expressing offense when the paper’s editor and publisher Richard Connor placed a picture on the front page of the paper that showed Muslims praying at the end of their holy month, Ramadan, which fell on the anniversary of 9/11.

Given the importance of the First Amendment (which grants the freedom of speech) in print media, it’s strange that the Herald decided to print a retraction instead of standing by their decision to forgo the 9/11 story.

Despite the criticism the Muslim religion has been undergoing in America, the momentous memory of their holy month, Ramadan, coming to a close, in print on the 9th anniversary of a significant day that will remain forcefully imprinted on all American’s minds; the horrific terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

Given the significance of 9/11 to Americans, it ‘s easy to see why many readers would take offense to the publication choosing not to run a story about the attacks on the day they happened. Instead, the paper waited until the following day to run a story covering 9/11 as though the events were not important enough to print on the day they actually occurred.

The fact is that the Al-Qaeda and Sunni Muslim movement were the radical religion organizations of the individuals who were involved in 9/11. This for many Americans is enough to raise sensitivities, particularly when for a large number of post-9/11 Americans this is a sore spot.

The incident made it harder on the Muslim population that resides in the United States. Airport security skyrocketed. Our hard earned money was spent on keeping us safe in order to allow us to go about our day-to-day lives, comforted by announcements about the tight belt of security around our nation.

The hijackers that were responsible for the destruction of the World Trade Center as well as the Pentagon and for the slaughter of thousands of innocent Americans were of the Muslim religion in the name of their faith. Whether they were extremists or not, the reality is that Americans are going to be noticeably more sensitive to Muslim’s as a whole because of the scars it left in the heart of Americans. In response to this, Americans are going to be offended when that religion is valued above the day that the country’s safety was called into question.

Every citizen of the United States wants to be able to say they feel safe in the country in which they reside. With all the “changes” America is undergoing, our nation seems exceedingly more insecure during the process.

Although caution is a must for the United States while undergoing these alterations in our country, especially with President Obama pulling our exhausted military units out of the Middle East, it’s vital that America remains unified and protected.

The main concern of our nation is the dire need of being prioritized. Just because this incident was the only one that raised concern does not mean there are not countless actions going on that mirror the same statement that America is not being given the respect it surely deserves.

It was disrespectful that they did not rightfully reserve the front page for the catastrophic day of 9/11 and that the very religion that forced us to endure September 11 was given more respect and attention than the day that same radical religion caused our nation to live in fear.

Although it may appear idealistic to say that all newspapers in the U.S. be required to wittingly reserve their first page for a repetitive tribute to the thousands of lives lost on that tragic day, it seems a small price to pay for the territory that we feel secure in; a land we lovingly call home.