Miramar Air Show takes entertainment to the skies

The roaring thunder heard around San Diego during the first days of October wasn’t just the rainy weather.

Pilots raced like lightning across the sky, breaking the sound barrier like erupting storm clouds at the 55th annual Miramar Air Show.

October 1-3 ushered in excitement for aviation lovers all over the county as military aircraft took flight at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar. The public event showcased hovering jets, looping biplanes, and the legendary wall of fire – a 2,500-foot barrier of fiery explosives that erupts across the runway.

A mechanical malfunction added a hitch to this year’s otherwise successful show. A refueling hose fell from a large cargo plane over a Carmel Mountain home during Saturday’s performances, damaging the roof and drenching the scene in gasoline. No one was injured by the 75-foot-long hose’s impact and the scheduled stunts went on as planned.

The performances by the U.S. Navy Blue Angels and the Canadian Forces Snowbirds were the highpoints of the 3-day event. Flying in formation, the two sets of pilots dazzled the crowd with the agility and precision of their airborne acrobatics. The Blue Angles painted the sky with the colors of the American flag as the jets’ exhaust trials vibrantly streaked across the horizon.

Spectator seats were set up along the northern side of the runway. Ticket costs ranged from the grandstands at $18 to the Flying Aces Club Chalet, gourmet-catered and priced at $219.

Those who paid for a seat could view stunts performed on the landing strip, such as Shockley’s “ShockWave” Jet Truck – a monstrous vehicle that reached over 300 mph with some help from a rocket engine strapped to the back. People in the stands also had the luxury of watching the planes taxi around the runway before taking off.

Visitors not interested in stadium seating could enter the military base for free, tour various booths and walk through stationary planes parked for display in front of the hangars. Air Force, Army, and Navy recruiters set up tents between the planes to provide information for those interested in serving their country.

Some people brought fold-up chairs and settled as close to the runway as possible to observe the aerial exhibition for free. The show was definitely a family affair with lots of attractions to preoccupy kids. Parents worried about keeping their children entertained could visit amusement rides set up at the east end of the air station.

MCAS Miramar is a key part of San Diego’s military identity. The base was originally established in 1917 but did not start hosting flight exhibitions for the public until the mid 50s.

The air station is known around the world thanks in part to the blockbuster movie Top Gun in which Tom Cruise joins an elite flight squad stationed at the Southern California base. However the air show in particular has also brought global attention to Miramar. The International Council of Air Shows acknowledged the base as having the “World’s Best Military Air Show” in 2007.